dumb idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
We have noticed-- the last year or so- a new "trick" some cow calf guys have started. There have been too many for it to be a "mistake" or just one idiot doing it.

Someone came up with the great idea of implanting bulls. Not sure what they hope to gain by doing this-- but I do know that it really screws up their balls and makes it a VERY difficult cut.

Not counting to two and implanting bulls-- is CRUEL and down right animal abuse. Think past your farm gate for the animals sake if for no other reason.

Howdy -

I just posted on the casterating thread about implanting.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to implant a growth hormone in bulls. How stupid.

Yet another reason to casterate with a knife - makes sure you have both.

Sorry---
We have been seeing calves with deformed balls- very short thick cords ,very thick membranes and sacks. Started a couple years ago with a few here and there-- its been getting more frequent.
We also noticed that these "bulls" had been implanted(could still feel the implant). We think the implant deforms the nuts.
They weren't mistakes(ie short sacks- bad band job)- their sacks were intact.
We concluded that Somepeople(idiots) are purposely implanting bulls.

They do look a little softer- but not near enough for someone that knows anything to pay steer price for them. But maybe they are finding some suckers that don't see a big full bag and pay steer price for them. ????????/

I have warned my buyers to keep an eye out for a decent set of nuts hanging down or letem ride.
I know they are still gonna get a few of them and short sacks- its just too hard to see it all in a ring.

If you read this- and someone tries to tell you implanting bulls is a good idea- And just thowing a band on willy nilly is ok-- think about what that poor animal goes thru when it eventually does get cut.

In the bucking bull industry not all ,but some implant thier young bulls to get alot of growth before they reach 2yrs. old ,because they compete in bucking contest at that age and believe biger is better, and for enough money people will try anything, right or wrong.

Thats interesting- as there has been an increase of local bull riding in the last few years.

Hmm... just had a quiz on this the other day...

Here is a quote from one of my study resources (from the Oklahoma State Extension Service)...

Can I Implant Bulls?
In a Kansas study, bull calves were implanted every 100
days (Ralgro®) from birth to 15 months of age. Compared to
unimplanted bulls, the implanted bulls showed a 50 percent
reduction in testicle size, impaired semen quality and a virtual
absence of sex drive. In Oklahoma studies, young bulls
fattened for slaughter responded to implants, but the response
was not as large as might be expected with steers.

So yes... it is strange that people would be implanting bull calves... castrate them and they will grow bigger anyways :roll:

Although the bucking bull thing would make sense, it still doesn't seem the smartest thing to do...

TCFC

Latest posts