dumb calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowgirl, even experienced momma cows will misplace a calf now and then. most of the time its the calf's fault for getting up and moving though. if you get lost, just stay put until someone comes looking for you. what really ticks me off is when i have runaway calves.

Bama":37kchfmp said:
sorry , I didn't realize I was posting in the middle of a cat fight. :eek:

No problem. As far as I know it's not a cat fight, I'm just a little tired of people spoiling animals and then blaming those animals for behaviour that was either overlooked or taught to them. Of course, it's entirely possible that I have a flawed thought process. :lol: :lol: :lol:

msscamp":vyyhc19f said:
Bama":vyyhc19f said:

No problem. As far as I know it's not a cat fight, I'm just a little tired of people spoiling animals and then blaming those animals for behaviour that was either overlooked or taught to them. Of course, it's entirely possible that I have a flawed thought process. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just picking at ya. I don't really think of you as getting into cat fights.

Bama":272uxbrq said:
msscamp":272uxbrq said:
Bama":272uxbrq said:

I was just picking at ya. I don't really think of you as getting into cat fights.

:)

ok for one.. beefy.. i did not post on here for you to say that limousin are suppose to do that.. i don't make fun of the breed that you have.. so don't even for one say that about limousin.

anyways.. as for show heifers being stupid.. i beg to differ. i know tons of people that have show heifers and after their show career are put in with the rest of the herd and do well. i also didn't post for people to say that about show heifers. gosh.. you people on here just like to knock on breeds and show cattle huh? how rude..

limi chick fitter":30gwip8p said:
ok for one.. beefy.. i did not post on here for you to say that limousin are suppose to do that.. i don't make fun of the breed that you have.. so don't even for one say that about limousin.

anyways.. as for show heifers being stupid.. i beg to differ. i know tons of people that have show heifers and after their show career are put in with the rest of the herd and do well. i also didn't post for people to say that about show heifers. gosh.. you people on here just like to knock on breeds and show cattle huh? how rude..
Beefy corrected himself and gave you a real answer. 'sides.. he was just kidding with ya.

Lots of us show here, limi chick, myself included. You can't generalize about "us people" knocking on breeds or show cattle. Make sure when you go through these boards, you read each and every message carefully. I know it's hard to tell when someone's joking or being serious because you can't hear tones of voice, but you'll learn how to tell in time. You've just gotta get used to who is more humorous among these boards, and how they sport that humor. You'll also learn that everyone has their own opinion about things and getting offended won't change them.

Beefy":glmhtsxk said:
Cowgirl, even experienced momma cows will misplace a calf now and then. most of the time its the calf's fault for getting up and moving though. if you get lost, just stay put until someone comes looking for you. what really ticks me off is when i have runaway calves.

Happens more often then you would think. By the time a calf is a couple of days old it's already starting to get a little independant. I've seen a cow and calf stand 50 feet from each other and bawl like crazy while looking at each other. Both are too stubborn to go to the other.

dun

msscamp":buys23o1 said:
I'm just a little tired of people spoiling animals and then blaming those animals for behaviour that was either overlooked or taught to them.

msscamp:
dont take this the wrong way. this type of interaction is something i feel strongly about myself.

is *Cowgirl* solely respnsible for your response? from what i got out of it, you have heard this type of thing before and she is just another person to throw a log on the fire. this means that you should ask her to think about what she's saying and then you can blast the masses for their stupidity as much as you like; but focusing 15 people's worth of aggravation on 1 person seems to be a bit extreme. what she said might have been dumb, but you and i both have made dumb comments that we were just flat wrong about in the past. i am sure i will continue to in the future.

why am i picking on your comments? because i have seen how you are usually understanding and helpful and i think this is a bit out of character for you.

other people on here are completely rude and enjoy every minute of it. these people are useless and i dont waste my time on them.

i realize i am droning on about something that might not be any of my business, but i really like to hear what you say and i dont want my image of you and your character to be ruined by one over-reaction.

respectfully,
matt

I may be wrong but the way I read it, msscamp was not taking issue with cowgirl persay. I think she was taking issue with what was said and the way it was said. I have learned to trust and respect msscamp, I have never seen where she went out of her way to pick on anyone. To quote msscamp. "JUST MY THOUGHTS".

Ron

Aero":35wpapoo said:
msscamp":35wpapoo said:
I'm just a little tired of people spoiling animals and then blaming those animals for behaviour that was either overlooked or taught to them.

msscamp:
dont take this the wrong way. this type of interaction is something i feel strongly about myself.

is *Cowgirl* solely respnsible for your response? from what i got out of it, you have heard this type of thing before and she is just another person to throw a log on the fire. this means that you should ask her to think about what she's saying and then you can blast the masses for their stupidity as much as you like; but focusing 15 people's worth of aggravation on 1 person seems to be a bit extreme. what she said might have been dumb, but you and i both have made dumb comments that we were just flat wrong about in the past. i am sure i will continue to in the future.

why am i picking on your comments? because i have seen how you are usually understanding and helpful and i think this is a bit out of character for you.

other people on here are completely rude and enjoy every minute of it. these people are useless and i dont waste my time on them.

i realize i am droning on about something that might not be any of my business, but i really like to hear what you say and i dont want my image of you and your character to be ruined by one over-reaction.

respectfully,
matt

Thank you Matt, you are absolutely right! :) I very much appreciate your taking the time to state your take on things and suggesting alternative ways. I certainly do not take your post as 'picking' on me in any way, shape or form, either - in fact, I very much appreciate the fact that you have enough regard for me that you would make this kind of a post. I'm always trying to learn, and Lord knows I could use some tuning of my people skills! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, again! :D

Cowgirl, none of my comments were directed at you personally, and I was absolutely not implying in any way that you're dumb, stupid or anything to that effect. I did not phrase that statement correctly, and I apologize. I was simply saying that before anyone can successfully train anything they have to understand and be smarter than whatever it is they are trying to train. Nor was I in a snit or trying to be nasty. I sincerely apologize because I'm fairly certain that I came across that way, and it was not my intent.

Beefy":2amywi6b said:
msscamp":2amywi6b said:
Aero":2amywi6b said:
msscamp":2amywi6b said:
Just for the record, all show heifers are NOT stupid (if they are selected correctly) and it generally helps if the owner is smarter than the heifer and puts a little effort into understanding the heifer.

ouch!

msscamp, some could miscontrue this as being snitty directly toward Cowgirl. i suspect it was more of a generalization though?

Thanks, Beefy, you suspect correctly and it was absolutely NOT directed at Cowgirl.

Ronald Boggess":j82n3ym3 said:
I may be wrong but the way I read it, msscamp was not taking issue with cowgirl persay. I think she was taking issue with what was said and the way it was said. I have learned to trust and respect msscamp, I have never seen where she went out of her way to pick on anyone. To quote msscamp. "JUST MY THOUGHTS".

Ron

Thanks Ron, you are correct. :)