Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":fbgft6bs said:
It wasn't bad roping her. Dead eye drove, I threw and once it was on i jumped off an ran it around the tree. Dead eye peeled off once I was off and out of the way. Maybe I should put a saddle on the quad.
I'd still like to know what the perfect people would have done on 200 acres of stub, woods, grass and trees better than what I did. Them being perfect and all.

They fence of any water that isn't in a trough... check their cattle every 6hrs... fence off brush that's too thick so they don't get lost :lol: I just made that up but its pretty close

hooknline":12umodat said:
Besides doing what needed to be done with what I had to work with to te best of my abilities, I'd like to hear what the lesson is

Here's three:

Fencing off mud bogs. Or clean out the mud.

Having insurance.

Keeping your mouth shut - huh Angrie? :lol:

backhoeboogie":3ukbgvxm said:
hooknline":3ukbgvxm said:
Besides doing what needed to be done with what I had to work with to te best of my abilities, I'd like to hear what the lesson is

Here's three:

Fencing off mud bogs. Or clean out the mud.

Having insurance.

The bog is fenced off now. Normally it's water.
There's no well and no power out there
Have insurance already
I'm not shutting my mouth just for some know it alls. Don't like what I have to say, don't read it.wont hurt my feelings one bit. Oops. There's that not being emotional thing again.
I imagine roping her was far less stress than running her all the way to the pens.

backhoeboogie":1qtycj7c said:
Trying to. I should try harder.
Someone has to learn something from this, it might as well be me.

hooknline":1qfbxd5s said:
I imagine roping her was far less stress than running her all the way to the pens.

Two of my pastures don't have pens. I have rotate them back across the road and down the alley to get them to pens. So I have roped a few myself. One out of the back of a truck around midnight one night.

My post was an attempt at humor.

I do not have insurance on my cows so you are one up on me there too.

I can tell when someone's trying to be funny and also when someone's just tryin to make an underhanded jab. I appreciate constructive criticism. The angry one achieved neither. Just a hit and run

hooknline":nzneqvce said:
I can tell when someone's trying to be funny and also when someone's just tryin to make an underhanded jab. I appreciate constructive criticism. The angry one achieved neither. Just a hit and run
Perhaps it feels like that hook, and I apologize if it does. It is not my intention nor my history at any other time on here in the past 7 years to be mean for the sake of being mean. I am legitimately opposed to the way you manage your cattle, this does not mean it is wrong, it means I believe it is wrong as opposed to just different. I do however realize that they are yours to manage however you want. From what I have observed, you have not taken criticism in the past and used it to make decisions therefore I have no reason to believe that anything I have to say will be anything more than a waste of your time and mine. I will leave you be. If it is redeeming at all ~ good call on the insurance! :tiphat:

I still would like to see a video. If you have cows you're going to lose some.
Hook at least you don't have to buy feed for a dumb azz horse.

Well that explains a few things. Thanks( I think) for clearing that up. It's your position then that I should be physically putting eyes on the cows every day? In this case it's not feasible. Even if I did try, there's no way I could find every cow on every trip on this property. It takes me 2 hrs just to ride it on the quad. And there's places I haven't been yet. There's a reason the spaniards didn't take florida and keep it. Too flipping thick vegetation.
Fencing it out isn't an option because that's all forage in this drought. I guess my point is that checking every day here just isn't going to work. In a perfect world it would but its not a perfect world.

I had to rope one of my gals last year who was out in the pasture . She was calving and not making any progress, hubby was 8 hours away working . Threw the rope on her ,tied her off to my quad (ya I know but there weren't any trees and her water had broke already so she would not budge from that area ) and felt what was going on. Tail only :mad:

Tried to pull her to the corral system but it was stressing her out too much so decided to get the calf out of her right there . The bull was breech and the heifer was backwards and upside down . :???: Both out alive , mom stood through the whole ordeal and tended to her calves asap .

Sometimes we do what we have to do under the circumstances we are handed . Would I love to have an extra pair of hands with me all the time you bet your #ss I would ,but that is just not possible so I improvise if need be , say a prayer and do what I can . In a perfect world perhaps things would be different for all of us .

I did the dumb part once.....I had a heifer calf choking on a plastic bag. I had this bright idea to rope and throw her and pull the bag out. I figured that I was man enough to rope a 300 lb calf on foot. I never realized how fast 40 ft of rope can burn through your hands or how hard a calf can hit the end of the rope. All I got out of it was all the skin burned off my hands and a mouthful of dirt from being dragged.

I've seen a. 500 lb calf drag the back end of a f150 sideways. Tied to the hitch

TennesseeTuxedo":v3n4ije7 said:
Note to self, never rope a cow or large calf unless absolutely necessary.

:cboy:

Just use reverse psycology. If you want the cow to go north, try pulling south. Let it "drag" you north. It will actually drag you right in to the pens you want them in.

angie":14dtagtq said:
hooknline":14dtagtq said:
Perhaps it feels like that hook, and I apologize if it does. It is not my intention nor my history at any other time on here in the past 7 years to be mean for the sake of being mean. I am legitimately opposed to the way you manage your cattle, this does not mean it is wrong, it means I believe it is wrong as opposed to just different. I do however realize that they are yours to manage however you want. From what I have observed, you have not taken criticism in the past and used it to make decisions therefore I have no reason to believe that anything I have to say will be anything more than a waste of your time and mine. I will leave you be. If it is redeeming at all ~ good call on the insurance! :tiphat:
Exactly what part are you opposed to?