due to drought

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
no wheat pasture this year.
i have some low quality standing grass left from summer.
all the hay in my area has been fed/sold.
i have access to cottonseed(whole, hulls and meal) corn,wheat mids.

what would be my best feed option for 6-7 wts steers

was told to take it elsewhere
this is a cattle board and it looks like i may have to buy feed and with the current market i'm not sure that it's going to pay

What is your goal with steers at this weight,if it is to sell at local auction at a later date,you will be better off to sell now before you get too much invested. I had the same situation and the feed was costing more than the gain, It does not take long to feed up your profit at current feed prices. I was holding on for rain all winter, it never came so my decision was to sell last month. In my area there are thousands of acres now vacant of cows because of drought. These are older ranchers selling out and I dought if they ever go back into cattle business again because the money is not there. In the local paper last week it was reported that over a thousand cattle had died due to the drought. It is raining now we have had an inch overnight not a drought buster just enought for hope I have eight days of hay left if the grass does not come I will have to decide if to sell out completely or go in dept deeper . I have already fed up my 2009 calf crop, I have sold half my cows and am down to by best cows, after 3 years of drought out of the last 4 and looseing money each year I am tired, broke and thinking of giving up 50 years of ranching. I know this not the answer you wanted but my thoughts just kept coming and I just had to vent my feeling somewhere.

C43, go on and vent. I'ts been a fight since 1996 between to dry and to wet, Then when it did rain it would rain for 3 days and not rain again for a month till recently where it wouldn't rain at all. I count myself lucky that I never had to sell because of drought until this one. This time hay and feed cost are just to high for any return you get even without a drought on. I've sold 30% of my cows since last fall. Probably still have more than I should. Hoping we can hang on, but if we can't---------Greeters at WalMart are making more than most with a few head of cattle.

lets assume the grass has little value other than filler.
i'm just wanting maintenace
whole cottonseed 28% protein
cottonseed hulls 3% protein
corn 9% protein

what percentage of each would make a good ration, to help supplement the grass ?

does your local ag office not have a livestock guy/gal? I'm asking cause they have a program which can calculate the feed cost, rate of gain, and what you are looking to do. It will give you the cost based on mineral and temperatures expected etc. Best way to figure out what to do. I think the program is called CowBoss. If you do not have a ag guy or nutritionist in your area, the local college maybe? Someone might be better to answer where to go. It worked for us in figurine cost of what to do.
Good luck

CB43, go ahead and vent, I'm feeling like you are right now.

RR

rockridgecattle":ikoedvow said:
does your local ag office not have a livestock guy/gal? .

RR

nope this is cotton counrty
they can tell you anything you want to know about cotton farming but when you start talking cattle they lose interest real quick :?:

cross_7":qpg0spno said:
rockridgecattle":qpg0spno said:

RR

they can tell you anything you want to know about cotton farming but when you start talking cattle they lose interest real quick :?:

Then go to a, or call a person in a different county. Or go to the college or university. I think some have posted here places to help with feed tests and cost analysis. Ask your vet for name, anything...there is someone out there somewhere

rockridgecattle":2kfmohli said:
cross_7":2kfmohli said:
rockridgecattle":2kfmohli said:

RR

Then go to a, or call a person in a different county. Or go to the college or university. I think some have posted here places to help with feed tests and cost analysis. Ask your vet for name, anything...there is someone out there somewhere

the cost i got covered (i do some ciphering :D )
was just wanting to know what percentage of the three listed above to get a say a 12% protein ration.
i know karen (howdyjabo) can tell me
and probably some others that do this for a living.

cross_7":blmtw1hn said:
lets assume the grass has little value other than filler.
i'm just wanting maintenace
whole cottonseed 28% protein
cottonseed hulls 3% protein
corn 9% protein

what percentage of each would make a good ration, to help supplement the grass ?

cross_7":blmtw1hn said:
was just wanting to know what percentage of the three listed above to get a say a 12% protein ration.

Been a long time since I figured rations but I think this is correct. If not someone will surely say otherwise.

4 parts (400#) of 28% cottonseed = 112# protein (4 x 28)
16 parts (1600#) of 9% corn = 144# protein (16 x 9)
20 parts (2000#) of mixed = 256# protein (112 + 256)
256#/20 parts = 12.8# protein per part (100#) or a 12.8% protein ration mix.

If you're in cotton country the seed and hulls should be very good buys. Cottonseed will run closer to 23% protein than 28%. I'd mix 50% cottonseed hulls, 25% corn and 25% whole cottonseed and feed 20 lbs. per head per day. That would give each cow 10 lbs. of hulls, 5 lbs. of seed and 5 pounds of corn. and an overall ration right at 10% Crude Proteion, over 8% fat and 26% fiber level which should be adequate plus the corn and cottonseed will boost the TDN and energy levels to a level that they should do well. Then they can scavenge any old grass they might can find just to finish filling up.

TexasBred":12snj9wd said:
If you're in cotton country the seed and hulls should be very good buys. Cottonseed will run closer to 23% protein than 28%. I'd mix 50% cottonseed hulls, 25% corn and 25% whole cottonseed and feed 20 lbs. per head per day. That would give each cow 10 lbs. of hulls, 5 lbs. of seed and 5 pounds of corn. and an overall ration right at 10% Crude Proteion, over 8% fat and 26% fiber level which should be adequate plus the corn and cottonseed will boost the TDN and energy levels to a level that they should do well. Then they can scavenge any old grass they might can find just to finish filling up.

thanks thats what i was looking for.
hulls should be cheap but they are in high demand right now so were getting gouged a little.
some guys are feeding mote bales after they have run through the textile mill, something like 8-10 %
protien.
they say the cows don't seem to like it, but they eat it.

Latest posts