Due date

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have it down her due date will be mid to end of July. What does it look like to you all? I hope in next few weeks, I I am leaving end of June, for Louisiana from Georgia for a week plus​ to see some folks.

I'm not that familiar with dairy breeds, but that udder looks fuller than I would expect for being 6-8 weeks away... she might be in the next couple weeks.

No , it's those coordinated trips where x meets y and goes to z. If you get what I mean. I still have about 4 weeks before I leave. She is only 19 months old ( bull had different idea on fence jumping). I have some one to look after them but don't know Jack if there's a problem.

Thanks, Guys. I hope you are right. I hate to leave and her in shape she's in. (Meaning a young pregnancy)

Ok, you all were right again as usual. About 2:30pm this evening she gave birth to about a 55-60lb calf. I left work early when my daughter call me and said it was on the way. Only problem was it rain 3 inches last night, more today and cats and dogs this evening about 2:00pm until 5pm and tornado warnings out. During the rain I moved the calf to the barn and finally got mama with her, all soaking wet. Rain stopped momentarily around 5:30pm. I tried to help the baby to suck and he/she did a little but very little. Maybe for one minute. Mama cow's bag is so full that when she walks it leaks out both sides. I left them together in a yard by them selves . I hope the calf gets to suck more. Haven't seen.it do so yet. Maybe it did before I got to them. I pray all will be fine. It now 6:30pm and rain is coming down hard. Tornado warnings all evening until 11:00pm tonight. What can I do to help the calf make it better?

This cow definitely needs more calves on her if you are not planning to milk her daily. If you are going to be going away then it is essential that she has at least 2 and probably 3 or 4 calves total to keep her milked out and her udder from getting mastitis. Were you planning to use her as a cow to milk for your own consumption or to use her as a nurse cow. Dairy animals cannot be left to only raise one calf, it will ruin her udder and could cause her to get mastitis and sometimes that can kill them if it goes septic.

Latest posts