Duck or Bunny?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is the photo a duck or a bunny?

• Duck

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Bunny

Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters
Both is not a valid reply. Please select one! This is a scientific mind test. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":3ur70njx said:
Both is not a valid reply. Please select one! This is a scientific mind test. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've seen it before so I can easily see both. To make it more fun I closed one eye then the other in rapidly alternating order and forced myself to see the duck with one eye, then the rabbit with the other; then I reversed which eye saw which.

For a split second when I first looked at the image, I saw the duck. Then I saw the bunny. I can see both but the dominant image seems to be the bunny. So I guess my answer is the bunny.

Interesting, my right eye favours the bunny, my left eye favours the duck (when I close the other).

So what is it supposed to mean?

Keren":22xq5q3h said:
For a split second when I first looked at the image, I saw the duck. Then I saw the bunny. I can see both but the dominant image seems to be the bunny. So I guess my answer is the bunny.

Interesting, my right eye favours the bunny, my left eye favours the duck (when I close the other).

So what is it supposed to mean?

That's what I want to know. I'm sure in my case its not going to be good cause I can't see no bunny unless I turn my head sideways like a currious dog. :oops:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1klhr6za said:
At first I saw a duck then the bunny. I suppose my answer should be duck huh?
I saw the same thing...but I went with the duck

I saw the duck first then saw the rabbit. So I voted duck, although neither is more dominant than the other.

at first i saw a duck then i got the bunny. we just went over this in AP psych. its just how your eye gathers info and sends it to the brain.

Our eyes do not translate to our brain what is there. Allot of the information is lost. Also, our mind can interpret information differently from what the eye sends it.

Leafing through some past issues of TICS (an activity that is always pleasurable and informative), I noticed a depiction of the famous "duck-rabbit" figure, described as an "illusion" and attributed to Wittgenstein (Malach, Levy, & Hasson, 2002).

Technically, the duck-rabbit figure is an ambiguous (or reversible, or bistable) figure, not an illusion (Peterson, Kihlstrom, Rose, & Glisky, 1992). The two classes of perceptual phenomena have quite different theoretical implications. From a constructivist point of view, many illusions illustrate the role of unconscious inferences in perception, while the ambiguous figures illustrate the role of expectations, world-knowledge, and the direction of attention (Long & Toppino, 2004). For example, children tested on Easter Sunday are more likely to see the figure as a rabbit; if tested on a Sunday in October, they tend to see it as a duck or similar bird (Brugger & Brugger, 1993).

But the more important point of this letter concerns attribution: the duck-rabbit was "originally noted" not by Wittgenstein, but rather by the American psychologist Joseph Jastrow in 1899 (Jastrow, 1899, 1900; see also Brugger, 1999), when the famous philosopher (b. 1889) was probably still in short pants. Along with such figures as the Necker cube and the Schroeder staircase, Jastrow used the duck-rabbit to make the point that perception is not just a product of the stimulus, but also of mental activity – that we see with the mind as well as the eye.

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~kihls ... owDuck.htm

I wonder what would happen if the order was reversed( duck or bunny becomes bunny or duck). I would think since you are expecting to first see a picture of the first thing posted, if that influences your thinking.

The poll was not worded correctly with all the options.
There should have been a third option of both, as everyone did see a duck and a bunny depending on if you looked at it right to left or left to right.

It would be the same if I did a poll about CT.

What do we discuss on Cattle Today ?

1) Calving and breeding issues.

2) Cattle health and nutrition.

3) Various issues in our day to day lives

4) All of the above

The answer would be #4

HD....Chris H. picked up on the joke in the first post. I was trying to be humorous in the reply to her. I did not create a "both" category intentionally. Since both radio options were present in the photo and the fact that there was no "both" radio option, there was no intent on my part to allow an accurate or equitable answer. I think you finally got the joke.

Latest posts