Duck eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":rmi6rcg3 said:
Anybody besides me eat duck eggs? I love them. Most people here think i am crazy. Means more for me.
We eat duck eggs here, have a couple of Muscovy ducks that lay about 30-40 eggs a year. They are great scrambled or used for baking. I don't find that they taste any different than chicken eggs.

I bought a goose egg at a roadside stand one time because it was 3 or 4 times bigger than a chicken egg and looked like a bargain. There were 3 of us on spring break down in Florida in 1980 and getting by on a tight budget. We scrambled it for breakfast. Was not good. Haven't wanted anything besides chicken eggs since.

FarmGirl10":2654c17p said:
I've never tried any, sounds kind of a weird thing to eat.
What's weird about it? Just comes out of a ducks butt instead of a chickens!

Not weird. Had some for breakfast this morning. They are richer than chicken eggs I think and of course larger. At $1.00 a dozen pretty cheap eating.

It's weird because it's not what I'm used to, that's what I meant by that. The other day I saw quail eggs in the store, i had the same thought then.

FarmGirl10":pr5hqi64 said:
It's weird because it's not what I'm used to, that's what I meant by that. The other day I saw quail eggs in the store, i had the same thought then.

Years ago we raised quail. Pickled and sold the eggs. If you want to see some strange looks bring 4 dozen deviled quail eggs to a party

Kenny - I forget the price, I pretty much just glanced at them when I was in Jungle Jim's. I have never seen anyone selling Duck eggs, otherwise I probably would.

dun - Talk about a bite sized deviled egg. :)

dun":wogt7f47 said:
FarmGirl10":wogt7f47 said:
I've never tried any, sounds kind of a weird thing to eat.
What's weird about it? Just comes out of a ducks butt instead of a chickens!

By far that is the funniest thing i've read on the board so far.
On a side note have any of you ever wondered what the white stuff in chicken poop is ?
Answer,
It's chicken poop too.

Here's my duck story:

My sister had a pet duck. She got it as a day old chick (duckling actually lol) and hand raised it, pretty cool pet it went in an out of her house through a doggy door, came running when you called its name. Would follow my sister anywhere. Bit weird though, it never stopped peeping even when it grew up into a full on adult duck it never quacked, it just peeped like a duckling. And the thing couldnt swim - yep, apparently swimming isnt instinctive for ducks :???: sis was living on a lagoon at the time and one day we put him in there to swim around a bit, figured he'd like it, well um no, we had to jump in there and save him.

Anyway ... he was a white duck with the orangey thing that went from his beak around his eyes. Now, somebody told us that only the males get that orange thing. So we figured he was a male.

Until he started laying eggs. Yep, he started laying eggs EVERYWHERE and we started eating duck eggs. They were really nice, like it has been said just larger and a fair bit richer than chicken eggs.