Duck breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
What breed of duck is this? Three of them showed up on my lake. They are really tame and came in with my other tame ducks for their daily corn. There are two males and a female. Is this an Abacot Ranger duck?
IMG00602-20120319-1837.jpg

HOSS":1akoxcl5 said:
What breed of duck is this? Three of them showed up on my lake. They are really tame and came in with my other tame ducks for their daily corn. There are two males and a female. Is this an Abacot Ranger duck?
IMG00602-20120319-1837.jpg

All I see is a red X no image

I see it fine CB. I wonder if it is your puter or some kind of error when I loaded it from photobucket. Maybe somebody else will chime in on the viewability of the image.

Alan is always talking about Ducks, maybe he'll see this and let us know. Heck, maybe it is Alan, but I don't think it's the right color. gs

A domestic cross maybe?
Cayuga x Rouen ? Cayuga x Mallard
Have seen some muscovy that have that coloring also. Is there any red on the face?

CottageFarm":2i5naxfp said:
A domestic cross maybe?
Cayuga x Rouen ? Cayuga x Mallard
Have seen some muscovy that have that coloring also. Is there any red on the face?
I have no clue other than it looks like an Abacot Ranger in some of the pics I googled. Definetly not a Muscovy. I have several of those and they are built different and look different even down to their feet. Someone will ID these by nightfall I am sure :D

plumber_greg":1xf7fde5 said:
Alan is always talking about Ducks, maybe he'll see this and let us know. Heck, maybe it is Alan, but I don't think it's the right color. gs

This is the only kind of duck I know of;

Remeber you asked for it! :D

[youtube]nkbKjtuNJhQ[/youtube]

HOSS":2uolwrvu said:
slick4591":2uolwrvu said:
A guy over there said it was a mule duck, which is a crossbred muscovy and peking according to this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigslush/3871050373/

slick, that could be it. I wonder if they are a hybrid if they can multiply or if they are sterile?????

In Louisana, we call them "Muley Ducks" and they are sterile. Good eatin' though.

F350":rmqfpej2 said:
HOSS":rmqfpej2 said:
slick4591":rmqfpej2 said:
A guy over there said it was a mule duck, which is a crossbred muscovy and peking according to this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigslush/3871050373/

slick, that could be it. I wonder if they are a hybrid if they can multiply or if they are sterile?????

In Louisana, we call them "Muley Ducks" and they are sterile. Good eatin' though.

How would you describe the eating experience as compared to the parent species?
And does such a cross have great or small advantages in terms of growth and vigour?

Anazazi, The eating experience is the same, I didn't mean to infer different. I like to eat duck. The cross has much more growth and vigour for sure. We used Muscovy (drake) and Rouen Mallard (hens).

Latest posts