Duck boat capsizes. Claims at least 11

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry":3b8gqb6h said:
I heard this morning that the winds were over 60mph and that the boat should not have gone out. But the tourists don't know that!

Big water and wind: bad combo.

We took a ride on one of these several years ago, I don't think my wife thought it would really go in the lake when we got on. We had a good time but when we got back from vacation and turned on the tv the first show that came on was about one capsizing. Kinda strange that it happened that way, I'd never heard of a duck boat and we just got on not knowing what to expect.

I heard on the radio this morning that when they went out it was calm and that it picked up as they were returning from their trip. It might not have been the captain's fault. I have been outside doing stuff thinking I could beat the storm that just showed up, and next thing you know I'm in wind gusts of 30+. Like someone above said, you never know. You could blow a tire going down the interstate or have some inattentive kid cross the center line.

Accidents happen, but I would not get on one of those as I don't need entertained that bad. Hope they find the other 4 okay, but I have my doubts.

sstterry":10xf8ewq said:
I heard this morning that the winds were over 60mph and that the boat should not have gone out. But the tourists don't know that!

I can tell you why, they did not know! That same wind hit us. Straight line winds are not predictable, and all week we have had storms that "might" happen. Yesterday, it was actual 105 with a feels like 125 (HORRIBLE). There was no weather warning, and only a 20% chance of rain. It was so hot, we did not even want to go outside! Just as fast as I could get out of my chair, the sky turned black and the wind started howling (my weather gauge said average was 48 MPH). The wind snapped two big limbs off of my trees in my yard, the temperature dropped to 68 (thank gosh), and we ended up with 2 tenths of an inch of rain. And the wind died after about 15 minutes (along with the rain), and the weather went back to normal.
The boats do not stay in unless the weather turns bad. That storm yesterday was fast and hard, and they got caught at the wrong time. There were two boats in the video posted, I am glad that both did not flip!

Fire Sweep Ranch":1oa5mzix said:
sstterry":1oa5mzix said:

I can tell you why, they did not know! That same wind hit us. Straight line winds are not predictable, and all week we have had storms that "might" happen. Yesterday, it was actual 105 with a feels like 125 (HORRIBLE). There was no weather warning, and only a 20% chance of rain. It was so hot, we did not even want to go outside! Just as fast as I could get out of my chair, the sky turned black and the wind started howling (my weather gauge said average was 48 MPH). The wind snapped two big limbs off of my trees in my yard, the temperature dropped to 68 (thank gosh), and we ended up with 2 tenths of an inch of rain. And the wind died after about 15 minutes (along with the rain), and the weather went back to normal.
The boats do not stay in unless the weather turns bad. That storm yesterday was fast and hard, and they got caught at the wrong time. There were two boats in the video posted, I am glad that both did not flip!

I will defer to you since you live there and know better than I. I was just quoting the news this morning.

TennesseeTuxedo":2gvfu979 said:
No life jackets?
on board but not required to wear them so ….. who knows.

Also learned that there is a captain and a driver on each boat. Boats are from WW2 and have had history of mechanical failure. To me it sadly seemed to look like a giant casket floating in the waves caught in the wind. What a death trap. Absolutely horrible. Luckily not all 31 died. But the 4 remaining is strictly a recovery mission

Prayers to the families ….. :(

jltrent":3dvir2zk said:
Accidents happen, but I would not get on one of those as I don't need entertained that bad. Hope they find the other 4 okay, but I have my doubts.

I'm with you. I realize a person can't just stay at home all their life for fear of an accident, but one never knows when something bad will happen. We face dangerous things every day. I guess that's why I avoid dangerous things for entertainment. I feel so bad for these people.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader announced Friday morning that the number of fatalities had risen to 17 after the bodies of four people who had been missing were recovered. Seven people were being treated at a hospital, one with severe injuries that were not considered life-threatening, the sheriff's office added.

Garmin has XM weather 24-7 in real time. We pay $60 a month for the service but we know what's coming and where it's heading in real time. Our lives depend on knowing what's happening with the weather.
Knowing and checking the weather is part of being a boat captain. Why didn't the captain keep the bow into the wind? Or why didn't the beach the vessel? He just gambled and lost.

Hook2.0":35o9hlca said:
True Grit Farms":35o9hlca said:
Garmin has XM weather 24-7 in real time. We pay $60 a month for the service but we know what's coming and where it's heading in real time. Our lives depend on knowing what's happening with the weather.
Knowing and checking the weather is part of being a boat captain. Why didn't the captain keep the bow into the wind? Or why didn't the beach the vessel? He just gambled and lost.
looked like he was bow into it, couldn't make headway, stuffed the bow, And took water on the starboard side

Like i said, why didn't he tuck in behind the big boat
I know you can handle yourself around the water, but some can't. We've put our life jackets on more than once on the FV True Grit. Sure glad we didn't have to try them out though.

Just heard there was one family on board that consisted of 11 family members. 9 perished. So very sad.

Preliminary reports comparing this incident to a similar one in Arkansas in 1999, say that the canopy, or top, makes these vehicles incredibly hard to get out of when the pressure of the rising water is pushing against you.

Latest posts