Dual Disc Mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

Gphillips

Reaction score
Any of you guys running a front and rear mount disc mower? If so what brand are you using, how do you like it, and what size tractor are you using to operate it. I am looking at increasing our hay acreage and think that going to this kind of set up would work well in what I am planning. I know that in the next year to year and a half I am going to have to buy another tractor, and just think that this might be the time to look at this setup.

Thanks,

Greg

joncowcare

Reaction score
Hi Greg,
Not many farms in the UK have the acreage to justify the expenditure of a front/rear mower and the only time I've seen them at work was when used by a contractor many years ago. If I recall he had them on a JD 8000 and I think they were JD 270's ? [sorry to be so vague] cutting a 51 acre field and the reason they stand out is because a student driving them went right into a field drain and smashed the front unit which I then had to weld up so he could finish up.
What we do see a lot of though are forage harvester/trailer combinations, [the tractor pulls both and drops off the trailers as they fill for another man/tractor to take to the clamp] on the smaller units, these will usually be for around 120-250 acres
The more modern contractors tend to use the 'Claas Jaguars' [self-propelled] for hay or silage work but they will cut many 1000's of acres every season which helps pay for them.
It's not much help I know but just may give you an alternative to think about.
Good luck, I'd be interested to know what you decide.
Jon

Latest posts