DTV

Help Support CattleToday:

I ordered our DTV coupons in early December and still haven't recieved them?!! I heard the government ran out of funding for this program and no more coupons will be given and that is why they are wanting to pust back the transfere date. Anybody else hear of this or having probs getting their coupons?

Yes I heard that today on the news. No more coupons. What a joke, they should just let people get their box and go on.
I don't know I guess I'm just getting old. Why fix it if it ain't broken. I just got good at VHS when they come out with DVD... What's next ? I have 5000 tapes that my boys think I need to throw away. Which I don't see anything wrong with them. Atleast if I drop one they don't break or scratch.
Well maybe it will do better later on. I still don't like it.

Joy of Texas":2skmijuh said:
I have 5000 tapes that my boys think I need to throw away. Which I don't see anything wrong with them.

I still have boxes of 8-tracks that haven't been played in 20 years.

All the old personal VHS tape recordings that had my parents and grandparents on them have been transferred to DVD and copied. Still working on some of the kids when they were little, from time to time.

backhoeboogie":7hvoilnb said:
Joy of Texas":7hvoilnb said:
I have 5000 tapes that my boys think I need to throw away. Which I don't see anything wrong with them.

All the old personal VHS tape recordings that had my parents and grandparents on them have been transferred to DVD and copied. Still working on some of the kids when they were little, from time to time.

I just threw out a box full of Beta tapes, still hanging on do the VHS ones

I just threw out a box full of Beta tapes, still hanging on do the VHS ones[/quote]

I'm still in the process of copying VHS to DVD.

Cal

Joy of Texas":3vany9ws said:

If the boys have no interest in them then it might not be worth the trouble/expense of converting them. Donate them and take the deduction? Half Price Books might give you something for them.

I'm not hearing much good about the converter boxes. Prices on flat screen digital tv's have come down quite a bit making them much more affordable. Down this way, I'm getting HDTV on PBS and all the other channels with excellent clarity. Also getting channels I never got before digital. There are booster antennas available that might help your signal reception somewhat.

backhoeboogie":2rpbx3nw said:
Joy of Texas":2rpbx3nw said:

Hmm..How do you convert VHS to DVD? I would like to do that w/ some home video's of the kids, the VHS tapes are starting to get fuzzy in some spots.

They make a box that converts VHS tapes to DVD disks. A friend of mine bought one for around$350 I think at Sears.

Lammie":d0i4egtw said:
I have the coupons for two boxes for mine and my son's room, but have not used them yet. I guess I need to. We have DISH network in the living room. I was toying with the idea of getting the house wired for Dish, but am weighing the expense. I think I pay too much for that now through AT&T, but that's another rant... I need to call around but haven't done that, either. I barely get the animals and my son fed at night before I pass out. This winter weather makes me tired.

You better use the coupons as quick as possible, they have an expireration date. We let ours run out and did not get to use it.

Joy of Texas":3cewjg3v said:
My gripe for the day is this dtv crap they are making us convert to. Oh my, I just have been having fits with this mess. I got my free box from H.E.B. a month or so ago. We don't have dish or and other satellite. If we did Rick would never get his chores done.
Anyway, I put this box on my kitchen tv. Lets see there is 7 new latino stations and 5 new christian station . I've lost one fox station and I 've lost PBS. That makes me mad PBS has alot of interesting programs. I have 6 blank stations. What's the deal ! I still have nbc,abc and cbs. So how is that making any new wonderful changes.
No I'm not going to buy a new tv. We wouldn't watch it enough. I do have some friends that went and bought a new tv. They are not that happy. Oh yes the tv is nice. But the channels suck.
Is this just our area ? Has anyone else notice the channels ?

You may have to get an outside antenna with a signal boaster and rotater to get the best results. I hope they come out with an antenna that is better and designed for the digital signals. That will be the first thing I buy. We have bought a new 50 inch plasma and are awaiting delivery now. I hope it works better than the box.

We are not to happy with the box we are continually haveing to do a channel search. The box will not store the channels and keep them availabe.

Limomike":1ouxrml4 said:
They make a box that converts VHS tapes to DVD disks. A friend of mine bought one for around$350 I think at Sears.

I'm not sure how many nickels the wife spent on ours. It is a VHS / DVD player recorder. The movies are not that important to me. It is the family tapings - especially for ones that have passed on.

The first ones I did was simply achieved by plugging in the VHS outlet to the inlet jack of the DVD recorder as if it were an antenna. It worked fine but was cumbersome. This new unit the boss lady bought (like Limomike describes) is real easy to use.

jd since you have that new tv coming.id go ahead an bite the bullet an get dish.youll get alot better pic with dish.we took our old antenna down 4yrs ago.

BeefmasterB":1n72jiuk said:
Joy of Texas":1n72jiuk said:

If the boys have no interest in them then it might not be worth the trouble/expense of converting them. Donate them and take the deduction? Half Price Books might give you something for them.

I'm not hearing much good about the converter boxes. Prices on flat screen digital tv's have come down quite a bit making them much more affordable. Down this way, I'm getting HDTV on PBS and all the other channels with excellent clarity. Also getting channels I never got before digital. There are booster antennas available that might help your signal reception somewhat.
I stopped by good will the other day. The lady they would take them. But they do not sell that well. But I am going to copy the movies I like first.
Sams has a VHS/DVD recorder for a 138.00.

We got the converter boxes hooked up and we got about 6 more channels than we use to, only got 4 before. The problem is the converter boxes are junk. Sometimes it freezes the screen, where you have to unplug it, and then it takes awhile to come back, and there is static. We put a 70 mile radius antenna up, with helped with the clarity. If you live rural like we do, you got to have a antenna for better reception. All in all, its better than what we had, and no way am I forking out for satellite TV (although the kids would like it)

I heard Obama may extend the deadline until 6-24, and give coupons for antennas. I don't even understand why the analog has to be done away with, whats the big deal?

I think if the govt wants this to be done, they should provide better funds for people to switch over. There are alot of people on fixed incomes who no way can afford it.The so called coupons do not cover the complete cost of the boxes, we still had to pay $50 out of our own pocket, There are just some people (elderly, etc) that can't afford it.

Plus the govt said they ran out of funds for the converter coupons. I think as always, they needed to make sure they could do this, before they made it final for Feb. seems to be alot of unsolved problems with the whole situation.

My kids have a small flatscreen in their room, and this is what is funny about it, its a clearer picture, but even with an antenna, they still can't get all the channels we get in the livingroom, with a tube TV, and converter box. That seems backwards. But it is the way it is.

GMN

GMN":1tacfz76 said:
We got the converter boxes hooked up and we got about 6 more channels than we use to, only got 4 before. The problem is the converter boxes are junk. Sometimes it freezes the screen, where you have to unplug it, and then it takes awhile to come back, and there is static. We put a 70 mile radius antenna up, with helped with the clarity. If you live rural like we do, you got to have a antenna for better reception. All in all, its better than what we had, and no way am I forking out for satellite TV (although the kids would like it)

I heard Obama may extend the deadline until 6-24, and give coupons for antennas. I don't even understand why the analog has to be done away with, whats the big deal?

I think if the govt wants this to be done, they should provide better funds for people to switch over. There are alot of people on fixed incomes who no way can afford it.The so called coupons do not cover the complete cost of the boxes, we still had to pay $50 out of our own pocket, There are just some people (elderly, etc) that can't afford it.

Plus the govt said they ran out of funds for the converter coupons. I think as always, they needed to make sure they could do this, before they made it final for Feb. seems to be alot of unsolved problems with the whole situation.

My kids have a small flatscreen in their room, and this is what is funny about it, its a clearer picture, but even with an antenna, they still can't get all the channels we get in the livingroom, with a tube TV, and converter box. That seems backwards. But it is the way it is.

GMN

What converter did you get?

Joy: I have a bought new plasma Hdtv. It works really really good on the outside antenna. We had the converter box and it did not do as well as it should. I think that to really enjoy good TV viewing in digital you are going to have to buy a TV that is compatible. Prices are pretty good now. The 720b will work as well as the 1080. The 1080 will cost more.

Latest posts