Drywall anchors

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I've got a deer head that I'd like to hang in our living room but the spot it needs to go in doesn't have a stud behind the drywall. Is there a drywall anchor out there that will support that kind of weight or is it too risky?

The ones I was thinking of are metal about the size of a quarter or a lil bigger on the outside and they come with their own screw and when you tighten them the back expands don't know what they are called but they work well is what they wife uses for her heavy stuff and my deer

Angus Cowman":2sicnmf9 said:
The ones I was thinking of are metal about the size of a quarter or a lil bigger on the outside and they come with their own screw and when you tighten them the back expands don't know what they are called but they work well is what they wife uses for her heavy stuff and my deer
They're called mollys

dun":24zvkvut said:
Angus Cowman":24zvkvut said:
They're called mollys
Thanks Dun I have learned something new today

See I told you I wasn't to old to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angus Cowman":evnaq9or said:
dun":evnaq9or said:
Angus Cowman":evnaq9or said:
They're called mollys
Thanks Dun I have learned something new today

See I told you I wasn't to old to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now they even make them with a driving point so you don;t have to drill the hole, just pound them in then turn the screw

Have you seen those fish hook looking things that are advertised on TV? I think they sell em at the dollar store now. Anyhow, we bought some of those a few weeks ago and they are really nice and will hold 150 lbs I think. (you stick the pin through the wall then twist it once its through and it works like a lever of sorts.

Take it from an old builder. Find a stud. You got 1/2 in drywall, no mater what the quality drywall anchor you got ain't gonna work for more then say 5-6 pounds. Now if you happen to have the fire code 5/8 you will be OK.

mnmtranching":1zyuorcz said:
Take it from an old builder. Find a stud. You got 1/2 in drywall, no mater what the quality drywall anchor you got ain't gonna work for more then say 5-6 pounds. Now if you happen to have the fire code 5/8 you will be OK.

Amen to that! Me too, an ex-contractor...

On a Sidebar:

If "Billy Mays" is selling something on TV as one of those $19.95 deals...well, consider it "entertainment" ! Wouldn't touch any of that "consumer" junk with a 10 foot pole... ;-)

Find a Stud...a "wood" stud, that is... lol

Thanks to everyone. Told the wife she needs to find a stud, said she already had... :lol2:

cfpinz":2m5ui8sz said:
Thanks to everyone. Told the wife she needs to find a stud, said she already had... :lol2:

How long before she throws you out and brings him home?

If the drywall will not hold the weight then cut a board that will reach past the studs, making it long enough to center the head where you want it. Plywood with a frame around it. Stain the same as deer mount. Hang the mount on it.

dun":13g9tuby said:
cfpinz":13g9tuby said:

How long before she throws you out and brings him home?

Not sure, but I hope he can build fence.

Latest posts