Dry cough

Help Support CattleToday:

G.Marc Renwick

Reaction score
What disease agents could cause a dry cough in previously vaccinated cattle?They have received Killed IBR,BVD,PI3 etc and booster.These cattle are thrifty and productive but previous experience with BRD makes me very cautious.Their eyes are bright and they have no nasal discharge.
Hay is not moldy and the weather is hardly dry.Any ideas?

If it's just a couple it's probably just that some cows calf once in a while. If it's most of them or the cughing goes on for a long spell it could be something that wasn't in the vaccines you used.

dun

Could that be Haemopholis(sp?) or Pasteurella? I don't use killed products with either b/c of the added cost but that also leaves me wondering what if ?We did co-mingle some cattle from two different production sales but they were rock solid coming in with verified vet papers.Probably being too cautious if there is such a thing.Thanks for replying Dun.Should have known you would be first.

Weathers too crappy to be out much in the rain. Too cold for my old bones out in the shop.
If you can find out or remember what vaccines you used you'll be able to see if they contained some of the more obscure vaccine products. Another thought on the cough. Is it possible that they had pnemonia when they were calves? Sometimes the damage done to the lungs won't show up till later, or maybe the grass/hay is dry and scratches their throats.
But you gotta remember, I practice benign neglect and if it's something like this I keep an eye on them but pretty much figure that if it gets to be something significant they'll show some other signs.

dun

I'm still thinking it is a pathogenic challenge no matter how small.These cattle were brought in around Thanksgiving and were not mixed with home-raised cattle.There is absolutely no morbidity,some have calved and others are cycling( AI underway).I guess I'm being jumpy but 30 plus years in poultry and livestock and I still haven't seen it all.I guess about 25% actually cough and some have improved since first observed.

Well, plants here are budding out in January so who knows. seriously with the cold, then wet, then 60s+ and its sposed to get cold again this weekend i'd be surprised if some cows didnt have a little cough or a runny nose. could be hairballs. i'm beginning to wonder if reading this board so much isnt making me a cattle hypochondriac. i have a cow with diarrhea, she must have Johnes.

For less than 2.00 per head treatment you don't need lab work. Ivomec them.