dry cough

Help Support CattleToday:

tucows

Reaction score
both of my little calves seem to have a dry hack or cough. this cough is not all the time, just once and a while.they look ok. is there any thing to be concerned about. they are eating oats and pasture grass.

tucows":2qozy2jc said:
both of my little calves seem to have a dry hack or cough. this cough is not all the time, just once and a while.they look ok. is there any thing to be concerned about. they are eating oats and pasture grass.

Some folks be givin a shot of Nuflor or LA200 at the 1st sign of a cough. I dont be one a them. How old be they? Did they come from a salebarn? Did they just transition from bottle ta dry food? Be they active, ears up, tails swishin??? I be likin a professional opinion before I shoot a little guy with antibiotics. Do ya have ya a vet bein nearby? They aint real cheap but it beats losin a calf, cause they can go downhill on ya real fast.

george

well ther tails arnt swinging allthe time but it aint droupin down either. ther ear are standing up. bought them second hand, problly came from a sale barn dont know for sure.the small one , i was told was just weaned. should i be givin them a feed with a milk additive in it. :?:

If they are new to your place the change in feed my contribute to the cough. If they came from a salebarn or somewhere like that I normally go ahead and give them LA200. A ounce of prevention gos a long way. If they do come down with something it is harder to cure later. Have you taken their temperature. A high temperature and I would give them meds for sure. You may want to sprinkle a little dried milk powder in the feed of the little one for a couple of days if he ain't eating well.

If they seem to be breathing okay and it's not labored I would just keep an eye on them and not do anything for now. I even have a little dry cough ever now and then but doesn't mean I'm sick. Watch them and as long as they're active and eating okay let them be.

We do the same as Bama. The ones from the salebarn get hit with LA200. Easier to get first signs of something earlier rather than try to treat later. LA200 isn't expensive either. The dry cough could be something simple like change in feed, dust, environment, etc. That sort of thing will run its course and get worked out. LA200 won't help but won't hurt either. Good first step though if it turns out to be something more. We tend to treat calves sooner as calves can go down so quick. It also eliminates the self blame if things go wrong. You can't say I shoulda done something.... cause you did do something.

You are getting good advice. I'd watch them for a day or two. Like was said before it could be the change. If they keep coughing I would get the Nuflor in a couple of days. Usually 2 shots will take care of it if they are sick. I don't think the LA200 will do much for a cough.

I thank you all for the information. they seem ok , the cough is just once and a while. Ill find me a vet if it gets worse. This is like raising your first kid , experiance is the best teacher( and help from the experianced). Thanks

If its still just every once in a while I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets worse or begin's running a temp them start treatment.

so can this LA200 be feed to them calves or is the shot the only way to give it

As far as I know la200 can only be given in a shot. There is a generic brand that is cheaper that I have also used. Its maxim 200 a 500 litter bottle is something like 30 dollars , half of what la200 is. la 200 is Liquamycin you can get a simular product that you put in the feed its called Aureomycin a 50# bag is about 10 bucks. It don't work nearly as fast as the shots though. The shots ain't hard to give if you can restrain them. If nothing else rope em and throw em. Or get them caught between a gate and the side of the barn. You don't have to have a headgate for the smaller ones. For pure preventive reason the Aureomycin will be o.k. for one that is aready sick go with the shot. Once you give the first shot you'll say "hey that wasn't so bad."

Latest posts