dry cough in cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a newly aquired (1 1/2 months) 4yr old Jersey cow that has a dry cough. She eats well and is alert, has normal respirations and temperature. The former owners were going to take her to auction as she was the smallest in the herd and always got beat up. She had a sprained knee when we got her, and it is getting better. I have other cattle but this is my first Dairy cow, and she is being kept seperate from the others as a precaution- I am not so naive to think I wasnt being told a song and dance, but she was so sweet and loveable and next to nothing money wise we figured we would give it a shot. They claim she is tb/bangs neg( I will test before I milk her) and vaccinated as they are a working dairy. She hasnt really gained weight although she eats. I was wondering if the cough could be due to her lying more than usual with the knee, or lung worms etc, and what wormer would be best if it was lung worms. She coughs more when she runs around playing, which makes me suspect lung worms. Thanks for your advice-Diana

If she had bad penumonia as a youngster it could have caused some lung damage. Have a good large animal vet give a listen to her luncgs, get her bangs tested and worm her as the vet recommends.

dun

diana":24r582la said:
I have a newly aquired (1 1/2 months) 4yr old Jersey cow that has a dry cough. She eats well and is alert, has normal respirations and temperature. The former owners were going to take her to auction as she was the smallest in the herd and always got beat up. She had a sprained knee when we got her, and it is getting better. I have other cattle but this is my first Dairy cow, and she is being kept seperate from the others as a precaution- I am not so naive to think I wasnt being told a song and dance, but she was so sweet and loveable and next to nothing money wise we figured we would give it a shot. They claim she is tb/bangs neg( I will test before I milk her) and vaccinated as they are a working dairy. She hasnt really gained weight although she eats. I was wondering if the cough could be due to her lying more than usual with the knee, or lung worms etc, and what wormer would be best if it was lung worms. She coughs more when she runs around playing, which makes me suspect lung worms. Thanks for your advice-Diana

Latest posts