Dry Clutch VS Wet Clutch Life Expectancy

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
In a loader tractor with a mechanical shuttle or dry plate what do expect to get out of a clutch ?
In a loader tractor with a hydraulic shuttle or wet disc clutch what do you expect ?

kenny thomas":10hp4rk1 said:
In brakes it's the difference between several years or never.
Yep....The wet clutch will last a lot longer, but probably in the long run not a whole lot difference in expense as the wet clutch is a lot more expensive to fix. The hydraulic shuttle is nice with the wet clutch.

Case in point is my parking (wet) brake on my Branson 6530. Back when I was running it and a JD 4230, I'd get busy and forget to look at the dash "parking brake on" warning light since the JD didn't have one and I wasn't used to the Branson (new tractor) brake. Many times I would go some distance before I realized I had it engaged.

It will be 11 years old in Sept. and I still have about the same lever travel since new and never required adjustment.

Contrary to that are my Fords which have dry shoes and I am adjusting them all the time, especially when I forget and move out with them engaged.

Same thing on my 6530 PTO. It's independent, 24 wet clutch disc. operated. The tractor has a function that you can push button select, that connects the PTO to the implement position. Rather than being lever controlled (which is there like all Ferguson systems) it also has a push button that is used to raise and lower the PTO to the set positions (position limits set manually)....get to the end of the row, push the button the 3 pt. is up, make your turn, hit the button and the 3 pt. is back down to the preset level.

With the PTO automatic button on, when the 3 pt lifts, it switches the PTO off....at full engine rpms or whatever rpms you are running when executing the turn, and reconnects it upon completion of the turn when you hit the 3 pt drop switch.

The transmission is 24F 24R and has the foot clutch pedal assisted shuttle, fully synchronized,....shift as fast as you can move the lever and smooth as silk.

A lot depends on the operator and how it is abused.

I have a dry clutch loader tractor with 5800 hours on the original clutch. Only me or my wife operate the tractor and don't slip the clutch and try to minimize f/r shifting. Most of its loader time is in the open field gathering and loading bales. Also does all the mowing and half or more of the baling.

Have another dry clutch loader tractor with 1900 hours and it's second clutch but it gets run by everybody and their brother and gets used like a rented mule unloading and stacking all of the hay at home so lots and lots of quick f/r shifting. Only hours the tractor sees is loader time. A clutch, PP, TO bearing, pilot bearing, and resurfaced flywheel were like 600 bucks so I can't complain.

chevytaHOE5674":zm681828 said:
A lot depends on the operator and how it is abused.

I have a dry clutch loader tractor with 5800 hours on the original clutch. Only me or my wife operate the tractor and don't slip the clutch and try to minimize f/r shifting. Most of its loader time is in the open field gathering and loading bales. Also does all the mowing and half or more of the baling.

Have another dry clutch loader tractor with 1900 hours and it's second clutch but it gets run by everybody and their brother and gets used like a rented mule unloading and stacking all of the hay at home so lots and lots of quick f/r shifting. Only hours the tractor sees is loader time. A clutch, PP, TO bearing, pilot bearing, and resurfaced flywheel were like 600 bucks so I can't complain.

No doubt. Lots of careless ways to wear out the lining. One that was common when I was growing up and stick shift was what you had, was "riding the clutch"....folks lazily let their left foot just slide to the side, rather than picking it up and putting it on the floor-board. The result was slight pressure on the springs allowing for disc slippage and short life. Other thing was sitting at a red light with the clutch depressed rather than shifting into N with the clutch out......this one really was harder on the "throwout" (clutch release) bearing as it was carrying the load as long as you had the pedal depressed.

Latest posts