Dry aging question

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara":c63hitq9 said:
I may be wrong, but I think USDA inspection is only required if your meat crosses state lines after processing.

i think if you sell the meat processed, it has to be usda inspected.

3waycross":3v5h9d9k said:
Aero; I read a lot of info here and try to respect the knowledge of people that know more than I do about the production end of the cattle business. One thing I don't do is call people names because I don't agree with them. So if callling me a "poultry salesman " makes you feel better, have at it, but if you are going to take me on regarding what happens to it after it becomes MEAT, bring your lunch.

apparently you have let this thread get you worked up a little. i didnt mean anything bad by it; i just meant that you dont sell to consumers, you sell in mass quantites to other resellers (chickens = mass production). my other meaning is that to you, having a consistent product is probably more important than having the very best tasting product. [chicken = consistent taste, texture, etc (though boring to me)].

dont let this place get the best of you, it's just a discussion; not a battle (though i too get wrapped up in it from time to time ;-) )

3waycross":1nje7b8n said:
If I had said Hide color as a primary consideration you would be correct.

That's not what I said.

Therefore MARKETING , is incorrect.

if the restaurant doesnt put any of those names you used (CAB, Sterling, etc) on the menu or on sign somewhere, I might agree with you. they want to put that in their menu and on wall plaques so people think they are a better restaurant.

a good restaurant will have good steak whether they use that particular name or not. proper meat selection, preparation and cooking will do a lot more than any branded beef program name.

3waycross":1kndddtk said:
Maybe what you should do is start a new Beef program.

Grassfed only
No Roll only.
Hung in the barn until it Rots.

Maybe the MARKETING slogan could be. "We know it's tough,we know it's dry, we know it tastes like venison, but if you don't like it we will sure send you some more". Or " Shoeleather , It's what's for dinner."

well, that's in it's infancy, but i havent considered any of those slogans. if i use them, i will send you a royaly check. :D

speaking of grass-fed, have you seen any research (independent) on consumer acceptance of alternate finishing in any large steak houses?

just remember that because people dont do it the way you do does not mean they are wrong; it means they do it differently (and usually for a reason).

Aero":cc06bfg2 said:
3waycross":cc06bfg2 said:
Aero; I read a lot of info here and try to respect the knowledge of people that know more than I do about the production end of the cattle business. One thing I don't do is call people names because I don't agree with them. So if callling me a "poultry salesman " makes you feel better, have at it, but if you are going to take me on regarding what happens to it after it becomes MEAT, bring your lunch.

apparently you have let this thread get you worked up a little. i didnt mean anything bad by it; i just meant that you dont sell to consumers, you sell in mass quantites to other resellers (chickens = mass production). my other meaning is that to you, having a consistent product is probably more important than having the very best tasting product. [chicken = consistent taste, texture, etc (though boring to me)].

dont let this place get the best of you, it's just a discussion; not a battle (though i too get wrapped up in it from time to time ;-) )

I sell directly to restuarants. Where the consumer is more quality oriented than at retail. Sound a little wierd, try looking at it this way. When Suzie average goes to the store grocery shopping she is trying to feed the family and still be able to pay the heat bill, so she is willing to trade off a little quality for price. When Suzie and Billy average go out to dinner and have a steak they usually treat it like, or it actually is a special ocassion and they want something better. That's the meat I sell. Keep in mind when was the last time you heard someone say, lets go to ABC Steakhouse for dinner, their steaks are tasteless , tough , and overcooked, but thet're really cheap.
That's the end of the cattle business I deal with every day.

My live cows are just an attempt to stay grounded in my roots, I'm not a large producer like a lot of people here, but it never hurts to know your audience and what they want.

As far as marketing goes, if CAB or the others didn't deliver at least some or most of what they promise they would be gone by now. People EAT with their eyes and their minds long before it ever hits their taste buds

Sorry about being defensive, but being called a CHICKEN peddler on a cattle forum is pretty darned low, ain't it.

Aero":2mcme93a said:
3waycross":2mcme93a said:
Maybe what you should do is start a new Beef program.

Grassfed only
No Roll only.
Hung in the barn until it Rots.

Maybe the MARKETING slogan could be. "We know it's tough,we know it's dry, we know it tastes like venison, but if you don't like it we will sure send you some more". Or " Shoeleather , It's what's for dinner."

well, that's in it's infancy, but i havent considered any of those slogans. if i use them, i will send you a royaly check. :D

speaking of grass-fed, have you seen any research (independent) on consumer acceptance of alternate finishing in any large steak houses?

just remember that because people dont do it the way you do does not mean they are wrong; it means they do it differently (and usually for a reason).

Like all things it woulod probably have a following of some kind but I'm guessing it would have to be in a Major metropolitan area so that it wouldn't die from sheer lack of volume.

Not being a smarta$$ but the way I do it is the way the Country does it, or there wouldn't be a feedlot in North America. Having said that if I am having something processed for personal use I would probably do it just like you, except I would hang it 10 to 14 days and then have my local guy cut out the ribeyes, strip loins, and top sirloins and cryovac them for a little while longer.

Let me know when that first royalty check is ready and we'll get togther and use it to buy coffee, when you're back in Colorado. LOL

Latest posts