Drum mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

Doing a repair today I've already done a couple times and recalled this post.
Tar river has a tendency for these four bolts to work loose. Gives the appearance a bearing has failed as the entire drum flops around.
You pull the stump jumper then a metal shroud with four 17mm wrench size bolts to expose these four.
You cannot remove them completely without pulling the shaft. But if they are not damaged you can tighten them and put a tack weld. But you have to catch it quick, usually have to pull the shaft and replace. I replaced the other drum with grade 8 bolts , lock tight and a lock washer so far so good.
I am working on a Tar River BDR-185 and have gotten it tore down to this hub as in your picture just below the wrench. Can anyone tell me how to remove this hub as the bearing in it seems to have failed. Does the whole shaft have to be removed and if so is that from the topside or can I use a pulley puller on this and remove. Any help appreciated.

1718448428507.jpeg1718448428507.jpeg

Attachments

• 1718448355535.png
    1718448355535.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Does anyone run drum mowers on smaller HP tractors? I have a 35hp New Holland and have researched some of the available options and am contemplating purchasing one along with a rake. I would only be cutting 5 acres at my house and then another 8 acres at my business. I have been using a local hay contractor to cut, rake and round bale and in the past our arrangement has been that I keep what is baled at my house and he keeps what is baled at work. I have spoken with another contractor that bales across the lane and he is willing to just do the baling at both locations for me. Thoughts?
It will depend on which mower you get and the size cut, I have one we use for a back up and in tight spaces and it does ok with a 35 h tractor but our 35 hp is on old massey so it's heavy, we haven't used it enough to know about any problems but over all it cuts pretty well I bought it at an RB auction, it was super low cost so it probably isn't the best but it suits what we want to do with it

I think you will be happy with it if you buy one. They are very durable and low maintenance. You can run the tractor as fast as you want and it will mow right through what you put in front of it. The only downside is they windrow the hay a little bit which makes it take longer to cure if you don't have a tedder.
Durable and low maintenance sound good. Although......I've conditioned myself to ask this question when a cattle producer is considering hay equipment: "Are you in the hay making business or livestock/cattle business?" It's not that a livestock producer can't make his own hay, but he/she can have someone else do the bailing with their equipment of a WHOLE LOT of hay for the price of paying someone to use their equipment and time to bale your hay for you. Don't forget to consider cost of repairs on equipment as it gets old but not heavily used as you only have 13 acres to hay. Something to think about anyway.

Latest posts