Drum Mower questions

Help Support CattleToday:

f150fatboy":3cby8c50 said:
I bought a used 6 footer off of craigslist and I've been pleased with it. Dun is right it is HEAVY but a lot easier on the wallet than a disc mower. Carter and Carter Machinery in Johnson City, TN sells them as well. One of my friends work there and puts them together, says he rarely gets one back for repairs.

I mentioned in another post that I have no experience with the drum mowers. I did buy one of their disc mowers years back. They needn't leave the lights on thinking this old boy's coming back.

fitz

fitz":2qlogpr0 said:
f150fatboy":2qlogpr0 said:
I bought a used 6 footer off of craigslist and I've been pleased with it. Dun is right it is HEAVY but a lot easier on the wallet than a disc mower. Carter and Carter Machinery in Johnson City, TN sells them as well. One of my friends work there and puts them together, says he rarely gets one back for repairs.

I mentioned in another post that I have no experience with the drum mowers. I did buy one of their disc mowers years back. They needn't leave the lights on thinking this old boy's coming back.

fitz

I bought my vermeer roller from them. What kind of problem did you have with them ?

This is a tough decision, I trust everybody, that says they've loved theirs, and had good service out of it. I also trust everyone's opinion that says theirs was junk. Not sure what I'll do.

I could see, an off brand disc mower giving trouble, but every drum mower is an off brand. Its not like Gehl, is going in to the drum mower business. It makes it even harder.

Go buy a Kuhn or Vermeer and be done with it. Bigfoot your son will need parts in 20 years and he will be able to find them for a good name brand cutter.

highgrit":293botji said:
Go buy a Kuhn or Vermeer and be done with it. Bigfoot your son will need parts in 20 years and he will be able to find them for a good name brand cutter.

Also very true

Another thing about a drum is if it is just a little out of balance it will shake the crap out of you. I also think they are harder on bearings with that much mass spinning. I may not have mentioned it or maybe I did, ours was a Reese.

fitz":gbt7z6xw said:
f150fatboy":gbt7z6xw said:

fitz
Fitz, I only know they sell them, I haven't dealt with them personally. The unit I bought off of CL came from there though, still had the CCM stickers on it. I asked the guy why he was selling it and he pointed to his new disc mower and said he bought a 9ft disc mower and doesn't use the drum mower anymore. If I had rear hydraulics and a bigger tractor I would get a disc mower. But with my 40 horse IH B414 this was a better fit. It can get difficult to put into cutting position by yourself though, but it works for me. :2cents:

pricefarm":28recp4g said:
fitz":28recp4g said:
f150fatboy":28recp4g said:

fitz

I bought my vermeer roller from them. What kind of problem did you have with them ?

No problem with them. It was the product I bought from them I wasn't happy with. It wasn't a Vermeer. They no longer market it and I told them I sure didn't fault them on that decision.

fitz

I do not know any thing about these double action sickle mowers. Such as the frontier sickle bar mower sb1107. This mower is from John Deere. You might do search on it takes very little horsepower.

How many acres can you folks get out of a set of cutter blades. I did about 20 today the blades are rounded on the end and dull. Need to turn them over for tomorrow.

hurleyjd":1av1tjhc said:
How many acres can you folks get out of a set of cutter blades. I did about 20 today the blades are rounded on the end and dull. Need to turn them over for tomorrow.
Sounds like you need better quality blades, or it could be what you're cutting. I flip them over after bout 75 acres then resharpen both sides and start again.

I rode over and looked at one Thursday. It was a Zetor. He only had one on his lot, and by his own admission it had been there a few hay seasons. He wouldn't budge on the price. I made what I thought was a decent offer, especially since all I could do with it was store it till spring.

You might be better off to save your $ till February and take a trip to the National Farm Machinery Show, and try to pick one up there. They usually have a couple of vendors there with mowers that are willing to work a deal so they don't have to ship it back. Just bring your trailer with you, and Sunday after the show is over, they will get it loaded up for you.

Littlejohn":3kpo2c7h said:
You might be better off to save your $ till February and take a trip to the National Farm Machinery Show, and try to pick one up there. They usually have a couple of vendors there with mowers that are willing to work a deal so they don't have to ship it back. Just bring your trailer with you, and Sunday after the show is over, they will get it loaded up for you.

Thats excellent advice, and I'm there every year any way. The gentleman carrying this one in inventory, picked it up at the show, a few years ago.

I haven't bought a lot, but I've had my best luck working something out Friday morning. Saturday they are really willing to make a deal, but a lot of it is already spoken for by then.

Littlejohn":45g6goh3 said:
I haven't bought a lot, but I've had my best luck working something out Friday morning. Saturday they are really willing to make a deal, but a lot of it is already spoken for by then.
That's what I have done too. You have to make a second trip on sunday but for what can be saved it's worth it.

I bought a Tar River Drum Mower at Mt Sterling tractor sales this year. I paid 3500 there 3800 know. Made in Italy.

Sure beat a mowing machine. There heavy used 4630 Ford with weight to mow. There hard hook up and getting into cutting position. More you do the easier it gets. It done a good job. joe

Latest posts