Drum Mower questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I had never heard of them until the other day. I saw a used one on Craigslist, and did a little on line research. They actually sound interesting. As I look at different brands, they all look like the exact same machine. I'm guessing they are imported from somewhere. I lost all hay equipment in a storm, back in '06. I had my hay cut for a while, then I pieced together some used equipment. it was all junk, and has either phased itself out, or soon will. I really wouldn't mind having one, if they are reliable, and you can get parts for them. Anybody got any experience with them?

We've been pleased with ours. Durable and reliable. There's not a whole lot of moving parts to them , so not a lot of maintenance other than usual greasing of pto and couple other fittings. Changing blades is quick and easy too. Good machine for smaller operation like ours.

We used one for about 5 years. Only real complaint I had was it was SO DARN HEAVY compared to a disc mower

dun":2ky35qhx said:
We used one for about 5 years. Only real complaint I had was it was SO DARN HEAVY compared to a disc mower

I wouldn't have thought that. I'd a figured it was the other way around.

Iam not 100% sure but I think they are all around 5 ft long? A man that farms near me has one and he mows faster than anyone I have ever seen. He mows in such a high gear that he usaly stands up instead of seating down on the seat because he can't hang on. He mows some thick hay and the drum mower does good.

All the ones I ever saw advertised were 5 foot cut and that made me look the other way. There may be bigger ones but never saw them and parts concerned me.

tom4018":vr9av1la said:
All the ones I ever saw advertised were 5 foot cut and that made me look the other way. There may be bigger ones but never saw them and parts concerned me.

I'm like you, I figure you haven't saved anything if you can't get parts. I made some calls this afternoon, and parts don't seem to be a problem. Infact, there aren't many parts on the thing to begin with. You could buy 3 of them, for what one new disc mower sells for. It almost seems too good to be true, but everybody that has one seems to like it. I guess the width of the cut is what has turned people off over the years. This'll sound bad, but it's true. My kids cut my hay, and I don't really care how long it takes them, as long as they get thru.

Bigfoot":9urr2kb2 said:
tom4018":9urr2kb2 said:

I'm like you, I figure you haven't saved anything if you can't get parts. I made some calls this afternoon, and parts don't seem to be a problem. Infact, there aren't many parts on the thing to begin with. You could buy 3 of them, for what one new disc mower sells for. It almost seems too good to be true, but everybody that has one seems to like it. I guess the width of the cut is what has turned people off over the years. This'll sound bad, but it's true. My kids cut my hay, and I don't really care how long it takes them, as long as they get thru.

Who even sells the mowers around here?

I bought a used 6 footer off of craigslist and I've been pleased with it. Dun is right it is HEAVY but a lot easier on the wallet than a disc mower. Carter and Carter Machinery in Johnson City, TN sells them as well. One of my friends work there and puts them together, says he rarely gets one back for repairs.

tom4018":37736w4z said:
Bigfoot":37736w4z said:
A Zetor dealer in russelville, carries them.
Did you price a new mower from them? Sounds like Diesel Doctor.

I had to go back and look at the dealer locater to remember the name. It was the Diesel Doctor. He was $3 or $400 higher than the gentleman in East Tennessee. It'd probably be cheaper in the end to buy close to home. The name brands are different, but I've got a gut feeling it's the same machine. They look exactly alike. Numbers are even the same. I may not buy one, but I gotta buy something, or spend a fortune on what I'm using.

Bigfoot":2a87dyga said:
tom4018":2a87dyga said:
Bigfoot":2a87dyga said:
A Zetor dealer in russelville, carries them.
Did you price a new mower from them? Sounds like Diesel Doctor.

I had to go back and look at the dealer locater to remember the name. It was the Diesel Doctor. He was $3 or $400 higher than the gentleman in East Tennessee. It'd probably be cheaper in the end to buy close to home. The name brands are different, but I've got a gut feeling it's the same machine. They look exactly alike. Numbers are even the same. I may not buy one, but I gotta buy something, or spend a fortune on what I'm using.
What size did you price and how much was it?

35 or so years ago there was the PZ zeggers drum mowers.One had two large drums and one with 4 small drums. I have owned both years ago. Both had problems. the four drum would bend the drums where they were not perpendicular to the frame caused problems with the gears in the upper part of frame.. The two drum locked up with twine around the drum and the vertical shaft that turned it. It is now setting in the junk row. Could never get the drum off to clean. Kuhn now sells these mowers and owns the PZ factory. PZ was a dutch mfg. A distributor for the PZ was Tabor out of Louisiana.

Here are the new pricing from Tigerco.

Minos Drum Mowers 5'5'' is $3700.00
6'3'' is $4600.00

Reese Drum Mower 5'3'' is $5,150.00
6'9'' is $6,600.00

Freight from MO to LA was quoted at $400.

MudHog":20dk425z said:
Here are the new pricing from Tigerco.

Minos Drum Mowers 5'5'' is $3700.00
6'3'' is $4600.00

Reese Drum Mower 5'3'' is $5,150.00
6'9'' is $6,600.00

Freight from MO to LA was quoted at $400.
Being able to cut a much wider pass will save money in the long run over what would be saved with buying the narrower drum mowers.

Latest posts