Drug Testing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Annoth

Reaction score
While I was out of town, the person giving my steer feed started giving him Asprin on the vet's orders once he fixed his bum leg. The instant I found out he was giving 10 a day, a week after the vet said to stop I took that bottle and threw it into the compost pile. I just read an article about a GC steer being stripped of a blue ribbon so the family had to eat the steer & couldnt sell. They didnt give aspirin but pharmaceuticaly it was related to aspirin and they still wrecked him over it. My show is in late March. That bottle was taken away early January. Will he still pop hot, and if he does will I be questioned or disqualified immediately? I hope people are smart enough "hey, anti inflammatory drug... injuries?" (i have to make monthly reports to the show employees and talked about him having a bad leg but didnt say about the aspirin)

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but why can't you give your cows aspirin, and how common is this testing?

Residue avoidance testing is now done at most county fairs and major stock shows. All market species are tested at our fair - rabbits, poultry, lamb, swine, goat and beef. The animals are tested to make sure that they do not have any drugs in their system at show time. Sometimes unethical people will give an animal a drug that is not approved for it's species to enhance it's growth or give it medicine that is not approved for the species.
If an animal gets sick, it is OK to give it medicine that is approved for it's species. But you need to check with your veterinarian about it.
All drugs have a withdrawal time. That means that you have to wait so long before slaughtering it. That is to ensure the safety of the food product.

If you show, be sure to read all of the rules including the General Rules, not just the ones about your species or project.

Latest posts