How many producers read and follow label directions on animal meds

• yes we follow label directions

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • no we do not follow label directions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
what?":19zx26er said:
msscamp":19zx26er said:
Yes, we read and followed label directions. A very few drugs were used differently from the label directions, but always under the supervision of a licensed vet.
but you still were reading and following label directions correct?

Yes. For example - I raise meat goats. There are very, very few drugs that are labled for goats, but a lot of drugs that work very well for goats. If one of my goats has a problem and has to be medicated, I determine what the problem in, decide what treatment would be best, and read the label to see if that particular medication is labled for goats. If it is, fine. If it is not, and I have not already talked to him about this particular drug, then I put in a call to my vet and talk to him about it(including withdrawal times, since my buck kids go to slaughter shortly after weaning). If he says it ok to use that drug, I do. If he suggests/recommends a different drug, I use that one.

As far as the cows were concerned, the only time I can recall using a drug against the recommendation of the label was penicillin in very young calves with the first signs of respiratory problems. Our vet at the time(he has since retired) suggested upping the dosage by several cc's, we did and it took care of the problem without having to re-dose. Make sense now? :lol: :lol:

get over yourself what

try being in the goat industry, or any minority, developing or niche industry for that matter, and not using drugs off label ... you wont last long

hey hills, funny you should mention the way you used the drugs on that cow ... I just had a doe who aspirated a huge amount of vomit (cud) and was basically drowning her lungs were so bad, pneumonia and all that. My broad spec antibiotic, TetraVet FlexiDose, which is an oxytetracycline, the label directions are 1 ml per 10kg bodyweight every 24hrs. So she should have had 6ml every 24 hrs, I gave her 10ml every 12 hrs. Hugely overdosing, but it worked. Stopped the pneumonia; she died of other complications but the lungs were beautifully healthy on post mortem.

what?":1qu0f1if said:
Angus Cowman":1qu0f1if said:
Do you actually believe just because a slaughter house is USDA inspected that their is an Inspector present all the time?
A USDA inspected facility just means that they meet the USDA requirements to proccess and sell meat as a retail product and they are randomly inspected it does not mean that they have an inspector on site when butchering and proccessing
absolutely i do there isn't any other way it gets an inspection stamp on the carcass

FSIS inspection program personnel maintain a continuous presence at all slaughter establishments while they are operating.
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome ... ctions.xml
That is incorrect because before the USDA will install a full time inspector in a slaughter facility the facility has to proccess and over a certain # of animals I am not quite sure of the # because I called 2 of my friends who are USDA inspectors 1 of which inspects a slaughter house in Kansas an another who is in Nebraska and they couldn't remember the exact # but they said a facility has to kill over a certain # of animals per yr before they are federally inspected all the time so the smaller processing facilities are inspected on a random rotation and as for the PM you sent me What Don't call people Stupid just because they don't agree or are able to add some info that you are not aware of

2 farms I've been involved in use drugs off label. both have been big establishments and we use one drug for a variety of reasons. sometimes we use it as directed but sometimes you need to go above and beyond. When you're out in the middle of no where you need to do these things or you may lose stock. It's just the way it is. But as far as slaughter goes, you record what you have done and they don't go to sale until they're clean. simple.

what?":hsrtbcbx said:
Howdyjabo":hsrtbcbx said:
How dare you invade my privacy
Macon there is something really bad going on with this NUT- he has a way of monitoring what members are doing with their computer outside of this site.
that just the tip of the iceberg, i was in dealey plaza in 63, jimmy hoffa i know where he is, i've worked with the cia, kbg, nasa, nfl, short stint with the ufc (thats no place for a little gal), amelia earhart got the plane in my car port, the crop circles i was bored, but my biggest accomplishment to date was arriving into the new world on a spanish galleon in 1492 with a fella named chris.

ROFLMAO...Don't know who "what" is but would love to have been there to see those crop circles being made.

i think we can just agree you can't read
\
No I think we can agree that you are arrogant and like to stir up $hit with stupid allegations towards other memebers on here

Oh and Just because our gov't says or prints something doesn't always mean that is the way they operate if it was then why do we have recallls on food becasue with gov't guidelines there would never be any uninspected or unsafe food get thru their inspectors

As for them inspecting 900 slaughter facilities on a full time basis do you beleive that there are only 900 slaughter facilities in operation in the U.S

I can name 10 USDA inspected facilities within 20 miles of me

I also called 3 of the facilities that I know are inspected and they also said that they are randomly inspected

They also said that there is different regulations and guidelines to follow if

1 they just do custom processing for individuals
2 If they sell packaged meat over the counter

Have A Great Day

Latest posts