Drug Choice

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Had a cow that had a c-section down at Texas A & M about 10 days ago. I brought her home last Friday, and she isn't doing extremely well. I've been babying her the past five days, and she's eating half heartedly, seems to move a stifly (I"m going to assume that's normal) but when I put her in the barn tonight I noticed a whitish yellow discharge coming from her vulva. I'm going to suggest she's not got an infection.

I tried to contact my vet but he hasn't called me back. I've never dealt with this before, so does anyone have any suggestions for what I can give her tonight?

As you know, if she has elevated temperature, probably an infection. If discharge is yellow/greenish and smells bad, probably an infection. She might also be having some pain...try a "pain pill"?? Is she hydrated adequately?

Also, am curious why your Vet hasn't bothered to call you back (or answer his phone calls?)?? Not concerned that much about post-op care issues??

About all I can think of at moment...hope she gets better... :)

I would get some intrauterine boluses in her (I think they are sulfa) and a good dose of penicillin. Haven't had a C-section in years, but that is our, and our vet's drugs of choice for an uterine infection. Good luck with her, and hopefully your vet gives you a call back.

My preference - cheapest and most effective - is high doses of penicillin. Either 35cc's daily of Twin Penn or 60cc's of PennG. Depending on how poorly she's doing you could even go up to 60cc's of Twin Penn without problems. Treat at least 5 days.

Lutalyse or Estrumate every 12 hours for a few days would also be a good idea.

I'm surprised A & M didn't have you put her on antibiotics following the c-section.....?

Good news.. the vet just called me back. He'd been at a speaking engagement.

His recommendation, total surprise to me, was LA200. And I thought that was only good for pink eye and foot rot. Anyway, we braved the freezing rain (she's tucked up in a big pile of hay in the barn) and dosed her about 30 minutes ago, along with some Banamine for fever. He did say I should have called him earlier (like, a couple of days ago) so now I feel really bad. He said even with surgery, 5 to 7 days post op she should have been nearly back to normal.

Hopefully we're now on the right track. This has been a really crappy two weeks with the c-section and the open cow. Sometimes raising cattle SUCKS. Thanks for the replies.

My advice is to follow milkmaid's advice . I'm shocked at the number of vets that treat this kind of infection with LA200 .

Larry

Vets like to recommend LA 200 because you get away with injecting them only once

remsteel6":2r9mqiv5 said:
Vets like to recommend LA 200 because you get away with injecting them only once

I think they recommend it because most everyone has a bottle and don;t want to spend the serious money it would cost to buy the stuff that will work from the vet. Better to give them something and hope.

When our vet did a C section she gave biomcyn... It's LA200 that does not sting or hurt when injected. Worked real well. LA 200 works well for us in most applications.

dun":1v7k7nr5 said:
remsteel6":1v7k7nr5 said:

I think they recommend it because most everyone has a bottle and don;t want to spend the serious money it would cost to buy the stuff that will work from the vet. Better to give them something and hope.

Also, simply because a lot of vets don't know any better. Hope it works for you TBL... I've never had much success with oxytet for uterine infections.

milkmaid":3ovpcgfm said:
Also, simply because a lot of vets don't know any better. Hope it works for you TBL... I've never had much success with oxytet for uterine infections.

i would have to not agree with this where our vet is concerned. she uses what is necessary to fight an infection, or disease. In my opinion she goes the extra mile to see the job done and done well. Man you should see her truck. Stocked to the nines with meds, instruments, hot and cold water, tools, a vet clinic on wheels. All she needs is ambulance lights..LOL
She has a hoof trimming squeeze on site, works 24/7 from January to May...calving assists...travels near 2 hours in any direction to service clients.
She has some sort of machine or what ever that can anylize the quality of colostrum in milk and does it free of charge...just bring in a sample.
She does small animals, large animals of all kinds, including learning about goats and sheep which have moved into the area.
She does yearly seminars on cow stuff like BVD and scours. Last fall it was about scour management. Has an amazing dinner and speakers and is well attended in the hall.
Her office does call backs on surgeries or major illnesses to find out how things are going...follow up.
She prints out a calving check list every year with up to date info as well as a herd health checklist and a vaccination check list for cows. She believes in prevention, and makes no bones about telling if you have a problem like scours or navel ill it's a management issue and advises on how to get your house in order to prevent these things
She even sent me out a calendar on chicken health because she knows I have chickens.

Does she walk on water NO. Does she make mistakes Yeah, she's human. But she knows what to do, how to do and what is needed to get the job done cost effectively for the producer.
When she first came here and my husband and i did not know how to tube a calf, took the time to teach us on our dead calf how to do it properly.

We lucked out with her!

Glad you have a good vet RR. I have one of the best too... I'd of course insist he's THE best, but I'm sure there's plenty on here that would insist their's is the best vet. LOL.

Point is that there are good vets, but there are also vets who know a lot from the books but have tons yet to learn outside the office. I've worked beside some and shadowed others. There's often a difference between what one reads in a book and what happens in the real world; sometimes it's an insignificant difference, and sometimes it's a major difference. I've had drugs suggested and treatment plans handed to me that should have worked on paper, but didn't work for that animal. On paper, oxytet is a good antibiotic. In the real world, there's a lot of resistance built up to it, and it often doesn't target the bacteria causing the uterine infection (often ecoli or similar, but where the cow had a csection the infection could be caused by anything including staph).

Latest posts