DroughtMaster

Help Support CattleToday:

n i c c i

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows much about them and producing them. Basically a run down of the beef quality they produce, where they're best suited... what breeds are best to put over the cows. Just very curious of the breed and hope to own a herd when i'm older.

I don't know as I had ever heard of them, certainly have not seen any.
I just looked them up on the breeds section of Cattle Today site? Certainly a nice looking animal.
What part of Australia are you in? What is your climate like?

Is this a popular breed in your area?

Droughtmaster cattle are very popular in Queensland and Northern New South Wales. We run Droughtmaster cattle on one of the family properties. They do well in the warmer areas and cooler areas too,and they cross well over Brahman as they lower the Indicus content. They are a nice straight red either dark red or a lighter milkier red colour. I have found that the lighter the colour the better milkers they are. Too dark they seem to be fairly hard and not as fleshy.
Colin

I live in South Australia and i have never seen one in real life. Only ever looked at pictures of them in books and on the internet.

The most common breeds where i am are definately Hereford and Murray Grey. They're the most common i see around, as well as the usual Holstein-Friesian.

Aus Cattleman: I never realised that about the colouring. Do you think the same thing applies with the Santa Gertrudis?

i dont know what kind of beef is popular in australia but droughtmaster should cross well with hereford, angus, simmental, charolais, limousin. droughtmaster is 1/2 brahman 1/2 shorthorn for those who dont know. going with a european breed would maximize heterosis on droughtmaster cows. simmental or charolais would he my picks.

Latest posts