Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
It is sooooo dry here in NW Arkansas - hasn't rained in what seems like forever

put a sprinkler on the garden with a very good amount of pressure - it ran from 8am to 5 pm today - not a single puddle :shock: - ground just kept soaking it in like a sponge. After all that time we still had to go back and water the corners that hadn't gotten enough -
luckily the hose was from the chicken house's sea level well, so not much worry in it running dry

I feel your pain.

We haven't had a rain since March 18, and that was only 3/16th's. The weird thing was that when the rain/front came through this past Friday, my dad got 2 inches, but where I live 30 miles south of him received nothing. It's still green here, though, so as long as something comes along in the next week or so, it'll be o.k.

Thankful here! We had a record-breaking dry period (March) here, but yesterday finally, a rainy day! Not sure how much, but drizzled on and off all day with a few heavy showers, all foggy this morning, hoping for more. Much as I don't like the mud, pastures need this badly. And hope you all get some rain too!

Gale Seddon":2o0h92q4 said:
Thankful here! We had a record-breaking dry period (March) here, but yesterday finally, a rainy day! Not sure how much, but drizzled on and off all day with a few heavy showers, all foggy this morning, hoping for more. Much as I don't like the mud, pastures need this badly. And hope you all get some rain too!

Started about 5:00 a.m. here. Measured right @ 1 5/8". Was so glad to see it and most thankful. Like to see another batch come thru.

fitz

Been fairly dry here too, and not much snow this past winter. Farmers done a lot of early spring cropping. Thats unusual for this area. Started raining Sat. at daybreak hasn't stopped and could rain for couple days. Guess it ruined a lot of city folks weekend. Shucks! :( :( :lol:

Very try here, too. We had a 60 percent chance Friday, but nothing fell here. We have another chance early next week, but I'm not too hopeful. I'll wait until it actuallys starts falling before I get excited. It has cooled off to normal temperatures. We had a couple of days last week that the temp was 99-100 degrees. That's 'way to hot for April.

We went a record 41 days without rain and then got 1/2 inch. Then we went 14 days and got 3/10ths. My fields need rain bad. I am still feeding hay and that is unheard of down here for this time of year.

It just started raining here. It has been raining pretty good for about 10 minutes now. Man i hope it rains all night.

Finally got a decent rain saturday night. 1 inch and 6 tenths. Then another 5 tenths sunday night. Most peoples wheat around here is about 12-18 inches tall and already headed out. :shock: For those of you not familiar with this area, that's about 3 weeks too early for heads, and about half the height it should be.

Highs in the low 90's last week. Supposed to be a low of 36 tonight. Ya gotta love the weather this time of year!!

On a brighter note, turkey season started here yesterday and despite mother nature being 2-3 weeks ahead of where it should be, the gobblers are still hammering like crazy every morning. :)

El_Putzo":3nilgp2s said:
On a brighter note, turkey season started here yesterday and despite mother nature being 2-3 weeks ahead of where it should be, the gobblers are still hammering like crazy every morning. :)

Glad they are up htere, rarely a sound around these parts.

dun

El_Putzo,

Just exactly where in missouri did you hear thoes turkey's at ? LOL

I know, I know, in the wood's right ? LOL

Well, this morning they were across the creek from my FIL's creek bottom (the Big Tavern to be exact) in the woods of course, until about 6:05 that is. Then about 6:45 there was one flopping on the ground next to my decoy in the bottom. By 7:30 most of him was in my cooler with some salt and ice water. Tonight he'll be in my freezer. :D

PS. He had a couple of buddies and lots of girlfriends with him. Hopefully one of his buddies will meet the same fate next monday morning. I've been listening to this guy and one of his buddies almost every morning while I fire my outdoor furnace for a month or so now.

That should answer your "when and where" questions. Oh, and I left out that his next stop after the freezer will be in my belly. 8)

This morning I didn;t here a sound. Saw a coule of hens come out and feed for a while then head back into the woods. I did see 2 jakes at 1:30 when I was grading the road. In 3 days of the season I've only heard one shot.

dun

We got about 2 inches day before yesterday
but with the rain came some cold weather :shock: one week ago it was 98 degrees and tonite they are talking about a frost - :roll:
I've heard of temperature changes but this is ridiculous!

Dun,

My dad's place is about like that. It's about 15 minutes down the road. Not many turkey's around, which I can't figure out because there are plenty of woods and grain fields for food. Maybe to many predators, or egg eaters to sustain a population.

Of course at my house which is on my father in law's land, he has about 200 acres of hills and woods and 100 of bottom next to the Big Tavern Creek, which is a tributary of the Osage river, there are turkey's everywhere. For about the last 3 weeks, it is pretty much impossible to drive up our private drive (1 mile long) at any time of the day, and not see a turkey.

Back in the middle of March when they were all still flocked up, Melvin (FIL) saw 4 bunches of birds, each containing 15-30 birds. He figured around 80 or 90 total, all in the bottom at one time. That makes him nervous as he just planted his corn, and if a turkey finds a row, it will walk right down the row picking up a lot of kernels. :mad:

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, but spring turkey season has to be my favorite hunting. With that being said, I'd gladly trade half of our turkeys for a small population of Elk. :lol: Fuel is getting too expensive to drive to Colorado.

El_Putzo":3ornoc1o said:
Dun,

My dad's place is about like that. It's about 15 minutes down the road. Not many turkey's around, which I can't figure out because there are plenty of woods and grain fields for food. Maybe to many predators, or egg eaters to sustain a population.

Of course at my house which is on my father in law's land, he has about 200 acres of hills and woods and 100 of bottom next to the Big Tavern Creek, which is a tributary of the Osage river, there are turkey's everywhere. For about the last 3 weeks, it is pretty much impossible to drive up our private drive (1 mile long) at any time of the day, and not see a turkey.

Back in the middle of March when they were all still flocked up, Melvin (FIL) saw 4 bunches of birds, each containing 15-30 birds. He figured around 80 or 90 total, all in the bottom at one time. That makes him nervous as he just planted his corn, and if a turkey finds a row, it will walk right down the row picking up a lot of kernels. :mad:

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, but spring turkey season has to be my favorite hunting. With that being said, I'd gladly trade half of our turkeys for a small population of Elk. :lol: Fuel is getting too expensive to drive to Colorado.

That's the way it was here year before last. Some groupls of 50-75 birds. Last year we got the freezing weather during nesting season and the population just seemed to take a dive. The biggest group we saw this winter were only about 10-15 birds. I wouldn;t be surprised if a lot of the hens last year got wacked by haying. They were still nesting in late june and early july. 2 hens that we've watched that usually have around 17 pounts between them this year ahd 3. By the time the poults should be splitting up there were just the 2 hens.

dun

El_Putzo,

When i was bow hunting elk in Colorado last September. There were some fellas from Missouri hunting. We were hunting down near Bayfeild. You was'nt hunting down in that area during bow season by any chance were you ?

Nope, not me. I know some guys that were out there at that time though. I'm not sure exactly where. Did you catch any names or towns they were from?