DROUGHT

Help Support CattleToday:

norriscathy

Reaction score
Just read the NOAA report for this month. Looks like the drought is headed for the East Coast. Four Mid-Atlantic states and Florida had the driest March on record; only .03 inches in Ft Lauderdale. Florida. Are we headed for major and permenant weather changes? Maybe need some major , "out of the box" rethinking on how we handle cattle production.

Norris

norriscathy":2cxd0isg said:
Just read the NOAA report for this month. Looks like the drought is headed for the East Coast. Four Mid-Atlantic states and Florida had the driest March on record; only .03 inches in Ft Lauderdale. Florida. Are we headed for major and permenant weather changes? Maybe need some major , "out of the box" rethinking on how we handle cattle production.

Norris

http://snrs.unl.edu/metr351-03/jchalups ... ycles.html

Drought cycle's have plauged us for years with some being longer than others. The Dust bowl lasted ten years.
I remember my grandpa talking about the the droughts of 1910 and 1930.
Norris I think you are right as weather patterns seem to have a 90 year cycle. Are we headed for this generations Dust Bowl?

Caustic Burno":1928b663 said:
Drought cycle's have plauged us for years with some being longer than others. The Dust bowl lasted ten years.
I remember my grandpa talking about the the droughts of 1910 and 1930.
Norris I think you are right as weather patterns seem to have a 90 year cycle. Are we headed for this generations Dust Bowl?

I hope not but I'm afraid so! Worst on record means WORST than the Dust Bowl years! We had a good 5' rain the first of March and really improved the spirits but didn't make up for a 25" shortfall from last year. Not the first drop here since the first of March and 90 degree plus heat on top of that. Wonder what July & August are going to bring?

Norris

norriscathy":3dazjfwt said:
I hope not but I'm afraid so! Worst on record means WORST than the Dust Bowl years! We had a good 5' rain the first of March and really improved the spirits but didn't make up for a 25" shortfall from last year. Not the first drop here since the first of March and 90 degree plus heat on top of that. Wonder what July & August are going to bring?

Norris

Exactly. I still get tickled reading those tales that state it was so bad they burned the needles off of prickly pear and fed them to cattle. All the prickly pear died last year. There was none to burn needles off of. It looked like shriveled up cardboard with needles sticking out. Some stayed purple but most was brown.

Worst on record is exactly that. '05 broke all records. All records since records were kept. 9 months with no rain and very little the first three. Several triple digit days. 6 year old round bales of hay selling for $70, if you could find them.

The birght side is cactus loss and lack of misquitoes. Plus the drought was not widespread so cattle prices stayed up.

Latest posts