Drought threat passed for another week

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
In the past hour or so we've gotten just shy of 2 inches, still raining lightly and more headed this way

Red Bull Breeder":21mlwqup said:
Bragging ain't ya!! Rain chances have put the hay on hold have not even heard it thunder.

Still raining and I have 2 cows to AI tonight, in the open chute.

Just started sprinkling around 8:00 tonight. Calling for a goose drowner. We could actually use 2 weeks with no rain so everyone could finish planting. This year hasn't gone very well for the farmers. Tallest corn around here that I have seen is not even knee high, most is just ankle high and the beans havent been planted long. Most are done planting buy this time. Doesnt look good. JHH

Hey, the non-irrigated corn around here is not much taller and has been in tassle for about 3 weeks. Sounds like ya'll might make as much as the farmers down here. :(

Wanna Brag about Rain>>>> April 1 - April 30 ==== 11 inches

May 1 - May 31 ====== 8 inches

June 1 to present ==== 3 inches

edrsimms":2j8b6nae said:
Wanna Brag about Rain>>>> April 1 - April 30 ==== 11 inches

May 1 - May 31 ====== 8 inches

June 1 to present ==== 3 inches

January 1 - June 9, 2009 --------7.8 inches

April 29 - June 9, 2009 ----------0, zip, nada, NOTHING.

January 1 2008 - June 9, 2009 ---23.6 inches

Supposed yearly average - 38 - 45 inches

You've gotten in 3 months about what I have gotten in 18 months.

1982vett":2cd5al2d said:
More of the same is called for tonight.

9-1/2 inches since Sunday nite with softball size hail. Destroyed million dollar homes at a lake I work at. Pumbers can't work and roofers and siding people are goin' crazy. gs

dun":2nbzlxzw said:
1982vett":2nbzlxzw said:
More of the same is called for tonight.
I should know that by now. Got a hot, dry SE wind blowing at 15. Where else could it be going. :p

Green with brown spots and brown with green spots.
Either way you say it, I'm in the brown spot.

Don't think a burn ban has been issued yet and haven't seen or heard about a lot of fires in the area. I'm sure that is about to change.

Put out two rolls of hay today.

Keep me informed if the fires start. My crews are ready to travel. Hope you don't need us though. Raining here about every three days. More hay than I have had in years. After three years of drought I will have the barns full again and still have enough grazing for 10-11 months.

kenny thomas":2k1ph8b5 said:
Keep me informed if the fires start. My crews are ready to travel. Hope you don't need us though. Raining here about every three days. More hay than I have had in years. After three years of drought I will have the barns full again and still have enough grazing for 10-11 months.
That is sitting pretty. Started off last year that way, now it is getting serious decision making time. Just how much more does one throw away. Around here, the cow market already hit the skids last week. I didn't stay to see them sell all the cows today, but it usually takes about an hour give or take. Today when I left they were working on a hour and 45 minutes.

Very dry in large parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Also very cold. Crops are way behind or frozen. Hay is not growing at all and pastures are very poor. A lot of cattle starting to move to market.
It looks like we will have another major reduction in the national cow herd. I suspect, if things don't improve here soon, by next year Canada will not be able to supply the domestic market.

Latest posts