Drought/Sale Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
This question is for all of you that had to sale cattle because of the drought.

How bad of a price drop if any did you take because of having to sale your cattle ?

Do you feel the big buyers took advantage of your situation ?

Situation was totally variable depending on your timing and the selling barn selected. In general:

1) Early sellers did not see a price dip because local optimists supported the market.
2) Mid drought sellers saw a price dip.
3) Late drought sellers saw pair prices go up $150 because we were discovered by another out of state buyer.

Situation was totally variable depending on your timing and the selling barn selected. In general:

1) Early sellers did not see a price dip because local optimists supported the market.
2) Mid drought sellers saw a price dip.
3) Late drought sellers saw pair prices go up $150 because we were discovered by another out of state buyer.
There's nothing good about being in a position that you are more or less forced to sale because of a drought.

But at least it sounds like thoes that had to sale could have done worse than they did.

I guess at least that's a good thing if there is anything about having to sale out and start over.

For what it's worth. I am sorry for what happened to all of you that went through this drought. But as you all know. If you stay in the business long enough. It won't be the last time you will have to deal with it.

You will have a little more knowledge and be better prepared to deal with it next time around.

I am going to reduce my numbers in moma cows enough to where i can get by during a drought year easier. And if i see I am going to have more hay than i need during normal weather conditions.

I will either sale the excess hay or buy enough calfs to feed it to and sale them in the Spring.

There's nothing good about being in a position that you are more or less forced to sale because of a drought.

But at least it sounds like thoes that had to sale could have done worse than they did.

I guess at least that's a good thing if there is anything about having to sale out and start over.

For what it's worth. I am sorry for what happened to all of you that went through this drought. But as you all know. If you stay in the business long enough. It won't be the last time you will have to deal with it.

You will have a little more knowledge and be better prepared to deal with it next time around.

I am going to reduce my numbers in moma cows enough to where i can get by during a drought year easier. And if i see I am going to have more hay than i need during normal weather conditions.

I will either sale the excess hay or buy enough calfs to feed it to and sale them in the Spring.
It's a barn thing....the hay I baled this year isn't for this winter, it's hay for next year or beyond. Economical? A lot of that depends on size of your operation and maybe how long you've had the barns. Mine have been around for a long time. Inventory shows I have 446 5x5 rolls on hand. Feeding 153 last winter and I stopped baling at 216 this year.

It's a barn thing....the hay I baled this year isn't for this winter, it's hay for next year or beyond. Economical? A lot of that depends on size of your operation and maybe how long you've had the barns. Mine have been around for a long time. Inventory shows I have 446 5x5 rolls on hand. Feeding 153 last winter and I stopped baling at 216 this year.
I have about the same amount of hay I fed last year. BUT I have a few more head this year. And I'm feeding earlier than normal due to dry conditions.

Usually end of Oct to mid November here. Until March or so.
I fed around 200-215 rolls to 28 mamas and half or so in calves.

Hows that sound for normal?

I have about the same amount of hay I fed last year. BUT I have a few more head this year. And I'm feeding earlier than normal due to dry conditions.

How long do you hold onto your calves before you sale them ? Do you ever sale in the Spring ?

I've got a group that I'll sell here next month or so. Anything that's weaning age has got to go this year. I'll only be carrying a handful of calves this time as I only have a few thatll be on the mama still.

My 2nd place are starting to calve now. So those won't eat much hay. Sell them in the spring.

I've got a group that I'll sell here next month or so. Anything that's weaning age has got to go this year. I'll only be carrying a handful of calves this time as I only have a few thatll be on the mama still.

My 2nd place are starting to calve now. So those won't eat much hay. Sell them in the spring.
About how old do you wean them ?

I ended the winter with 3 bales (70-72'') Added another 100 in one cutting (normally only do one cutting as I rotational graze until
it snows). This year I have 12 acres of knee high orchard grass laid down to bale tomorrow(?) Had a knee and hip cut on in the past
year so down on numbers and April calves still on the cow. God will provide

About how old do you wean them ?
I wont wean anything under 6 months.
I've had that bite me.

Actually.....
I wont be weaning these. These will be sold right off the cow.

O! I've got one heifer that got caught twice only to be let out by a stupid pen destroying cow that I sold. Shes coming on 9 months. BIG heifer. Dang they get big when they are on mama that long!

At just the right time too I hope.
Pretty concerned about my hay supply this year. I've got a couple cows that will probly be sold too. Older cows n what not that have done a great job for me but I'm wanting this calf out of them, then I want to upgrade some this spring if all goes as planned

I wont wean anything under 6 months.
I've had that bite me.

Actually.....
I wont be weaning these. These will be sold right off the cow.

At just the right time too I hope.
Pretty concerned about my hay supply this year. I've got a couple cows that will probly be sold too. Older cows n what not that have done a great job for me but I'm wanting this calf out of them, then I want to upgrade some this spring if all goes as planned
I am thinking about doing the same thing. The majority of my calves are 8 months old. I am going to wean them pretty quick.

That's where being 350 miles or so farther south helps me out.

I'll put out hay when we get a good frost. Nothing special in quality. Just a guide that tells me the quality of grass. When thy start working on the mediocre quality hay and leave the pasture I know I need to step it up a bit.

We will get a good burning frost sometimes in late October but it's usually mid to late November. Need a good soaking rain now to get winter grasses to germinate and wake the warm season grasses back up. That all plays into how early I have to start feeding. Usually starts ramping up after Thanksgiving. Sometimes can stop feeding as early as mid February.

That's where being 350 miles or so farther south helps me out.

I'll put out hay when we get a good frost. Nothing special in quality. Just a guide that tells me the quality of grass. When thy start working on the mediocre quality hay and leave the pasture I know I need to step it up a bit.

We will get a good burning frost sometimes in late October but it's usually mid to late November. Need a good soaking rain now to get winter grasses to germinate and wake the warm season grasses back up. That all plays into how early I have to start feeding. Usually starts ramping up after Thanksgiving. Sometimes can stop feeding as early as mid February.
That sounds like a really good year here!
Unfortunately ain't happening this year.

That's how I do it as well. I'm going to set some out this week, not because of frost but because it's time to make a move across the road. Hopefully the hay will bring them in. I've got two groups of cattle on the same place, separated by a ditch. I guess they don't like each other, the bull seems to be the only one to go back and forth.

I ended the winter with 3 bales (70-72'') Added another 100 in one cutting (normally only do one cutting as I rotational graze until
it snows). This year I have 12 acres of knee high orchard grass laid down to bale tomorrow(?) Had a knee and hip cut on in the past
year so down on numbers and April calves still on the cow. God will provide
Where is your farm Lee?

Latest posts