Drought question

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Around here it's always said that we are never more then 2 weeks from a drought. I'm curious when I should start counting that 2 weeks when we got 18 plus inches in a week and a half.

:lol: start counting as soon as the last drop falls.....we are working 14 days with 1/4 inch last night....been watering the garden and yard all week and see no reason to stop.

On that 18 inches...only an inch or so hung around, the rest is headed to the Gulf.

1982vett":1kyz574d said:
:lol: start counting as soon as the last drop falls.....we are working 14 days with 1/4 inch last night....been watering the garden and yard all week and see no reason to stop.

On that 18 inches...only an inch or so hung around, the rest is headed to the Gulf.
Some ran but most of it just soaked in and made things a muddy soggy mess. Just walkign across the pasture I sink in about 4 inches.
That's with size 11 feet and only weighing 115 pounds.

Yeah, but this time of the year when the sun pops out to stay and the temps scare the heck out of the 90's on top of 10 - 20 mph winds......the lush green fast growing forage party is over. Doesn't take long for everything to dry up.

1982vett":31x3coji said:
Yeah, but this time of the year when the sun pops out to stay and the temps scare the heck out of the 90's on top of 10 - 20 mph winds......the lush green fast growing forage party is over. Doesn't take long for everything to dry up.
True, but all the standing water it's gonna take longer then usual. What I'm hoping is that some of the springs that used to run on the farm will come back to life. They died in a drought 10 years ago and have been dry ever since. Even the flooding a couple of years ago didn;t bring them back

It's a mess around here too Dun. I'm going to have to skip a couple of pastures in my rotation as they are to wet. I don't know how my new bull is going to be delivered Saturday. I think I'll kick him out on the county road and walk him to the cows a couple of pastures over.

J&D Cattle":4f9sxwsi said:
It's a mess around here too Dun. I'm going to have to skip a couple of pastures in my rotation as they are to wet. I don't know how my new bull is going to be delivered Saturday. I think I'll kick him out on the county road and walk him to the cows a couple of pastures over.
We're not even rotating now. Just turning them into big enough fields that they will have plenty of grass and it won;t matter how bad the pasture gets pugged.

talltimber":36zus6ew said:
Do they call you "L", dun? You shouldn't be sinking that deep with those specs
Nope, it's just that wet. Anything that isn;t on a slope is under a couple of inches of water. It's almost as if the glade rock that is under the few inches of dirt has turned soft

dun":1rye54cz said:
Around here it's always said that we are never more then 2 weeks from a drought. I'm curious when I should start counting that 2 weeks when we got 18 plus inches in a week and a half.
Tomorrow is always just one day away from the start. I saw thousands of Missouri cows go through the barn here in 2012 headed to slaughter.

We can get though any drought as long as we have pond water. To me, a drought begins with rain with no run off. Like the past year, we've had enough rain to keep the grass growing, but with each rain there has been no pond filling. Well, until about a month ago we started to get our ponds filled. To go into spring with low ponds is scary. That's what happened in 2011.. Normally our ponds should overflow all winter. Took the opportunity last year to dig out ponds and make some bigger. This made it worse for us because our ponds started out dry last summer due to digging them out. Once they are filled, a few are still not full, we'll get through the worst of droughts.

Latest posts