Drought Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Took some pics yesterday of the pasture,,,and we took 10 calves and one cow yesterday to auction..

this is where we normally make hay...the dirt/sandy part is where we planted oats last deer season..
3fd719b0.jpg

new bull calf who looks exactly like his mama..
4e67ab22.jpg

up at our other place which is much much worse..
a01a318a.jpg

another new bull calf..
2581371d.jpg

this is what i was talking about in an earlier post,,,what the cows are eatting,,,is this bad for them? they aren't eatting them as much anymore..it has small thorns on it if that helps
30ed8ca6.jpg

71b751f6.jpg

again more of the pasture
60ce99d2.jpg

the cows will follow you all over the pasture because they are hungry...we are feeding a bale every other day and only have 15 left...it's not looking good at all
252f136d.jpg

trying to stay cool in 105 degree weather...it's been over 100 for almost the past month..
6d06d222.jpg

our yard isn't looking too swift either.
ddd54ff6.jpg

that's right...we could put a yard stick 32inches into the crack before the crack stopped or changed direction
24abdc61.jpg

11f56dab.jpg

the grass is just burnt to a crisp...it literally crunches when you walk on it
0988d463.jpg

LOADING PICS...
sorted the bull out
569d8f70.jpg

fixing to go sort some cow/calf pairs out..
bcc759f2.jpg

sorted the ones we wanted out and closing the gate
5216573f.jpg

it's really dry like i said...that's normally all grass but it's basicly dirt now
277b267e.jpg

I'm living and feeling your pain. Our cracks aren't as bad this year because we are already pre-shrunk from last year.
Here is one from last year taken the day Ike visited.
file.php

You are looking as bad as we did last year. I guess if we hadn't gotten the 2" rain we did at the end of June we would look that bad too.

we have not gotten any rain at all since May 24th,,,or at least that is the last time i can remember it raining...

K2001, We were lucky to get the one we did. Everyone that didn't get it doesn't remember that we didn't get the 2 - 3" they got Memorial Day week. I kindly say "I guess we are even". So all in all, 15 days ago we had 2" over 24 hours. The only rain in the past 77 days.

Jogee, last year I was on the eastern edge of the drought. This year it is expanding to the south eastern part of the state. I bet even Caustic is parching this year.

K... if those weeds with little berries have violet colored flowers and later the berries turn black, if I'm not mistaken those weeds are "Silver Nightshade", a poisonous plant.

We have some occasionally here and I dig them up.

the drought is hitting yall real hard.i can see why the cows are hungry.i feel for you.its hot an dry here in east tx.the cows still have grass in the pastres.but im running a water trough for them when they come up.

The weed is nightshade and can be toxic to cattle. They normally won't eat it but when it's the only thing they have like in your pictures they will and it can kill them.
There is another weed that looks like night shade but gets much bigger and can take over. It is called Tropical soda apple but I don't think that is what you have.
I am sorry for your drought. We have looked like that for the last 4 years but have recovered this year. I know how hard it can be with no grass and no hay. You need a nice slow 4 day rain. I will pray for you.

Supposedly that high pressure area your under is finally starting to break up. It was more east and over us till the end of June then it shifted west and we've been getting some rain now. We only had to go about 35 days without.
Let's hope it falls apart alltogether and everybody gets wet here shortly.
I'm pullin' and praying for you guys.

Many are being forced to sell out or at least thin down to the bare minimum. A good friend of mine averaged a whopping $.49 at 4 County Auction for his Beefmasters. I sold out a herd of reg. Brahman for a family last week. The cows would have normally brought $1,400 but could only get $1,000. It's a buyers market right not if one has a place to put them.
I haven,t fed much hay to speak of in the last 5 years. I never would have dreamt I would be feeding hay this time of year.
Some of the truckers have been going up to the wetter areas,north Texas, and buying hay getting a premium around here. Bad part is they say it is getting hard to find. Every body is sold out.
K... if those weeds with little berries have violet colored flowers and later the berries turn black, if I'm not mistaken those weeds are "Silver Nightshade", a poisonous plant.
Running Arrow you are right on the plant, but the cows won,t touch them.

Beefy":u8solr4n said:
thats terrible but your cows still look good at least.

I agree, seems like you've done well to keep the cows with calves at side in that shape considering the drought you're in. Hope you get some relieve soon.

man thats dry

looks like soda apple to me cept that the fruit on em looks diff. soda apple is like a miniature watermelon in the way they look...thorny...invasive...and grow straight down w/a looooooooong tap root

I'm with dieselbeef te weed is either tropcal soda apple or horse nettle. They look very similar but soda apple gets much larger and is very difficult to get rid of.

theyre missing the color pattern but theyre still immature...the foliage sure looks like it..spray it or pull it with some good gloves...it spreads mostly in the shade under the trees and then the cows wont lay in it.

yer cows must be awful hard up to be eatin that stuff...if they eat that fruit and spread them seeds yer gonna have issues

dieselbeef":3t7xmc36 said:
theyre missing the color pattern but theyre still immature...the foliage sure looks like it..spray it or pull it with some good gloves...it spreads mostly in the shade under the trees and then the cows wont lay in it.

yer cows must be awful hard up to be eatin that stuff...if they eat that fruit and spread them seeds yer gonna have issues

I haven't seen a cow eat one in about week or maybe a little longer... thank yall very much for the info

Latest posts