drought over?

Help Support CattleToday:

pbnewbie":2th3uhqe said:
Don't worry. I'm listening to a lot of people. I may be a beginner, but I'm pretty astute. I'm still working on getting the infrastructure finished on the ranch before I put on cattle - if I decide to put on cattle. I might just do hay and call it a day. That's why I'm on this forum, though, is to listen to what you guys say and learn.

For my husband, this was his love and his passion. For me, it's gotta be a business because it's very hard work! I'm finding that no matter how I want to continue on with what our plans were, I have to modify them for me so that I can handle it.

Hay fields aint easy don't get that in your head.
A hayfield is like a woman you have to give it a lot of attention or it will up and leave you.

Also forgot to add hay equipment can make a preacher cuss.

Hay fields aint easy don't get that in your head.
A hayfield is like a woman you have to give it a lot of attention or it will up and leave you.

Also forgot to add hay equipment can make a preacher cuss.

Gotcha. I understand that. I will hire out the baling, though. Even my husband did that. If you read Allan Nation, he says it's better to hire than to invest in equipment unless you have other income streams for your equipment.

I didn't think a drought was ever over, always one around the corner ready to bite you on the a$$
Stock pastures for dry weather
Plant for dry weather
Always prepare for dry weather, you will be caught off very seldom if you plan this way.

Chenengo%20Ranch.jpg

Just baled my new place and am now selling my first cutting. Floks around here have taken such a beating on hay, I decided to help folks with a $3.50 per bale price for our first cutting. It's like a feeding frenzy! I've cut and baled 60 acres and have about 300 acres left to go. I'm getting about 25 bales per acre. The next cutting will be better. It's difficult to get the job done when it rains all the time. We got over 15" in the last 6 weeks.

I sure am glad to say I didn't listen to everyone who told me I was wasting my money on a cutter conditioner. I'm one of the few who didn't get caught by all the rain. I cut about 10:00 am and tedder about 3:00 pm rake about 10:00 am the next morning and bale in the afternoon.

My hay prices will remain at $3.50 for the first cutting. After that, who knows!

God Bless TEXAS!

pbnewbie":85c9kg2y said:
For those of you who experienced drought the last several years, but are now getting plenty of rain (like Texas), are you planning on buying hay this year, and if so, what price are you expecting to pay?

Latest posts