Drought Areas

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I know some areas of the country have been or still are in a drought. I was wondering what part of the country those areas are?

We've had a great year so far here in central Texas, and have actually had a good couple of years. I've overheard comments about areas that haven't had good rains for years. I'm just curious to hear what ya'll are facing this year.

There is an area in Northeast Colorado, around Yuma; that had 2" last June and none since. Hardly any snow this winter. Just a coupla light skiffs.

Drought conditions can be so localized that the drought maps put out by the USGS are pretty useless. Before last year we had hardly any rain in this county, a couple of inches a year, north of us had a surplus and nothing showed in the drought maps except way western and northern MO.
The term drought is also dependent on location. In 1980 we were in western WA, we went 3 weeks without any rain. Wells were going dry and they were lamanting the horrible drought.
When the summer rains are dependent on thunderstorms it gets even spottier. I'm sitting here watching the rain pour down on the river valley, 1 mile east, all wer're getting is the noise. Last week I talked to a guy that is about 3 miles east of here and commented on how much rain they had gotten the night before. It was the same deal, the river valley disappeared for a couple of hours in the heavy rain. The guy said all of the rain was west of him and that we must have really gotten a lot.
A friend of mine maintains that rain is attracted to mowed hay, I have ahard time arguing with that.

dun

{Quote}A friend of mine maintains that rain is attracted to mowed hay, I have ahard time arguing with that. {Quote}

That's a fact!! Mowed hay and just washed cars and pickups on a gravel road.!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

la4angus":1pum3lk4 said:
A friend of mine maintains that rain is attracted to mowed hay, I have ahard time arguing with that.

That's a fact!! Mowed hay and just washed cars and pickups on a gravel road.!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don;t have to worry about the just washed vehicle part. Mine get washed when the hay is cut, i.e. the rain.

dun

dun":2g349u6r said:
la4angus":2g349u6r said:

I don;t have to worry about the just washed vehicle part. Mine get washed when the hay is cut, i.e. the rain.

dun
In that case we would have to be cutting hay almost all the time. :lol: :lol:

la4angus":u8nngss6 said:
dun":u8nngss6 said:
la4angus":u8nngss6 said:

dun

Heck I need a boat to cut hay.

Campground Cattle":3llnv56r said:
la4angus":3llnv56r said:
dun":3llnv56r said:
la4angus":3llnv56r said:

dun

Heck I need a boat to cut hay.

There's an outfit in CA called Kelpco that has the perfect machine.

dun

Latest posts