Drought and hay

Help Support CattleToday:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE

Reaction score
We have been getting a little rain along, but not enough,overall it has been a dry spring.I have to buy my hay,people around here who had hay for sale last year are afraid we are going to have another dry hot summer and are starting to hoard their hay (out of necessity) and are even thinking of selling their herds off. Of course,the price of fuel being what it is, the price of hay will be out of sight if you can find any at all. How is it in your area? :( :shock: :cboy:

Although we have had plenty of rain the past few years people are scrambling around looking for hay. Most farmers who have sold their dairy cows but kept the farm usually try to make a few thousand bales [small square] just help pay property taxes. Most is sold to dealers and hauled down east to Conn. and Mass. for horses. Everybodies barn seems to be empty and I see trucks hauling large round bales, most of the time you can't give away.

My husband was talking about this a few nights ago. We have been getting some good rain since March, but we think that hay will still be high, especially the first cutting, because no one is going to take the chance of running out or that they won't get a second cutting. Paid 90.00 for our last round bail of coastal. Before that, we paid 80 for sudan, but our animals wouldn't touch it. They had to get pretty darned hungry to eat it. I am just glad that it has been raining and that we are green right now.