Drought and electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Your tester if it is the type that you just touch it on the wire will show you that your fence is working but if the ground is too dry it won't show that. The old type tester that has a probe in the ground and the hand piece touches the wire and various number of lights show up depending on the strength might be more appropriate in your case Murray to see if the ground is too dry to give a shock. Those testers are very cheap, often given away with other gear.

Ken

Sometimes the calves hair insulates them from getting a shock. You can use barbed wire as an electric fence (with insulators) if that's the case.

The information on my charger that's rated at 8 joule said the output would be 3 joule or less in dry conditions. I don't remember exactly but it was a large drop.

Your tester if it is the type that you just touch it on the wire will show you that your fence is working but if the ground is too dry it won't show that. The old type tester that has a probe in the ground and the hand piece touches the wire and various number of lights show up depending on the strength might be more appropriate in your case Murray to see if the ground is too dry to give a shock. Those testers are very cheap, often given away with other gear.

Ken
wbvs58 How long has it been since you have received a fence tester with a purchase in Fremont, Nebraska or Enid, Oklahoma?
Maybe you were thinking of your Murray, which has probably had some testers tossed its way. (some will get it-some won't)

Hopefully some of you's guys can help. My fence is kicking out 6k about like normal. No shorts. I went along with my fence checker and did find a couple minor ones and fixed em.

However!
I got a couple calves that seem immune to a hot wire. Is it really just so dang dry that their hooves are acting as insulation? I've literally watched them go under and rub their back the entire time and never seem to get hit!

I even ran a second strand along the side they seem to prefer escaping from. Couldn't believe it, but yep, they even went UNDER the second strand!! And it was tight! So I know they made good hard solid contact the entire length of their back...

Or do I just have a charger that gave up?
Possibly putting out voltage but no amperage that makes it bite?
It may seem like overkill but I have three ground rods spaced 6 ft apart. They are downhill from the gutter on my shop but I still have to water them during droughts to get a strong shock. My soil is sand down to about 4 ft and can get pretty dry. I have also noticed that I need to tighten the ground clamps every few years.
My latest calves went under my wires recently, too. I found a wire arcing to a t-post intermittently.

wbvs58 How long has it been since you have received a fence tester with a purchase in Fremont, Nebraska or Enid, Oklahoma?
Maybe you were thinking of your Murray, which has probably had some testers tossed its way. (some will get it-some won't)
Hehe...

Comment was made Saturday, first to buy 10 calves gets a free round bale.
Fella next to me bought 30 plus. And he don't usually buy calves!

I bought a cheap energiser on ebay about 8 years ago and they threw in one of those testers. The energiser looks like a copy of my Speedright, I have been using it since on a lot of fence, gee it has some bite to it, it has been very good, couldn't tell you the joules. It was only about $120, I'd buy another couple if I could find them again.

Ken

I bought a cheap energiser on ebay about 8 years ago and they threw in one of those testers. The energiser looks like a copy of my Speedright, I have been using it since on a lot of fence, gee it has some bite to it, it has been very good, couldn't tell you the joules. It was only about $120, I'd buy another couple if I could find them again.

Ken
Speedright merged with Stayfix. They make darn good energizers. I would love to have one of those 64 joule models.

Hopefully some of you's guys can help. My fence is kicking out 6k about like normal. No shorts. I went along with my fence checker and did find a couple minor ones and fixed em.

However!
I got a couple calves that seem immune to a hot wire. Is it really just so dang dry that their hooves are acting as insulation? I've literally watched them go under and rub their back the entire time and never seem to get hit!

I even ran a second strand along the side they seem to prefer escaping from. Couldn't believe it, but yep, they even went UNDER the second strand!! And it was tight! So I know they made good hard solid contact the entire length of their back...

Or do I just have a charger that gave up?
Possibly putting out voltage but no amperage that makes it bite?
if you are as dry as me electric fence doent shock near as much as when ground is a little moist...always happens this time of year, and i hope for the best

if you are as dry as me electric fence doent shock near as much as when ground is a little moist...always happens this time of year, and i hope for the best
Surprisingly, they are all where they belong today. I watched em last night fight that second strand. Perhaps the 2nd one was just enough of a deterrent...

Still gonna try a bigger zapper soon!

There was somebody on here awhile back, can't remember who, they swore by that Cyclops charger.

Those testers with the probe like Ken is referring to do work better in my opinion but they are hard to find lately. Also when using one don't fiddle with the ground probe while you are testing the fence. It can light you up, just an experience based FYI.

Murray, No need to go jouleistic! Unless you are fencing cape buffalo or bison or something of that nature 64 joules
might be overkill. I see Cyclops has 'Brute' (8 joule) listed in mid $350's no shipping. If well grounded you will hear the
hallelujah choir if get into it. If that is not enough the Cyclops 'Super' (12 joule) will run you in the 5's and is more than
adequate. I know from experience a Cyclops Brute will kill a turkey if they try to hop a fence and get a wing hung up on
the wire. /////// Note of caution////// When you do get a fencer be sure to install a lightning arrester to protect your
investment. Also if you do not have one a directional fault finder is a good investment, It will show not only the joules in
the line but the direction of source of short or resistance. Wet weeds are hell on voltage! Good luck whatever way you go.

24 joule charger here stopped calves going under polytape 'gaps' to the next paddock; I don't remember the power rating on the previous energizer, but it wasn't 'hot' enough. This one has a tester/remote that allows me to turn the charger on/off from wherever I'm working on the fence, so I don't have to drive back to the barn every time.
6-8ft ground rods, driven at an angle out under the eaves on the downhill size of the stall barn... IF we ever get any rain, they're in a nice damp area; also, still have 5 or 6 of them buried ~ 3 ft deep beneath a fenestrated drain tile running out from the tackroom sink and wash-stall in the barn; if I need to 'water' them, I just run water in the sink for a while.

Latest posts