drop in pressure=calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Would a drastic drop in bareimetric (sp?) pressure cause cows that are close to their date to calve?

The reason I am asking is that we has a couple nights of severe thunderstorms and had 6 calves. Thoes cows were a week away from their date. The bull consistantly throws calves at 280 days no matter what the cow. They are all 70-80 lb birth weight range. Which is also very normal for that bull. I had exact dates on all 6 cows and they were anywhere from 5-8 days from that date. The 2 nights of the t-storms they all calved w/in an hour of each other.

I know there is probably no science behind this, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I just have too much time on my hands. I'm sure most of you can relate to going round and round on a tractor all day and having lots of time to think this stuff up!!

Could be, but I've just alwasy thought that they picked the crappiest weather they could to calve.

dun

Interesting that this theory is being noted. I have often said that our cows pick the worst weather to calve, but I never repeated it for fear of being called "superstitious".

I've certainly noticed it. If the weather changes for the worse they will usually domino if they're close anyway. If they're in a lousy location it's a dead cinch.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":166hzhkx said:
I've certainly noticed it. If the weather changes for the worse they will usually domino if they're close anyway. If they're in a lousy location it's a dead cinch.

Craig-TX

Your right about the dead cinch, and the lousest location is on the side of a creek bank or stock tank , that way the calf can slide in drown.

That is what I say to myself when those bred too early heifers come through the sale. They are dirt cheap and I am thinking about getting a steal. I just tell myself, down by the creek, on a rainy stormy night, pitch black out, with a flashlight that the battery is going dead and I'll be pulling the calf. Generally talk myself right out of raising my hand to bid.
Dave

Certherfbeef, we've noted for years that a storm rolling in at calving time invariably means a big run of births. I'm leaning towards the dropping barometric pressure bringing on delivery if for no other reason than Murphy's Law dictating that calving cows would be more challenging when you're looking for newborn calves in snowbanks.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":1c5moddp said:
Certherfbeef, we've noted for years that a storm rolling in at calving time invariably means a big run of births. I'm leaning towards the dropping barometric pressure bringing on delivery if for no other reason than Murphy's Law dictating that calving cows would be more challenging when you're looking for newborn calves in snowbanks.

Take care.

Cattleannie- I definitely agree with you-- I'm convinced weather changes effect cows delivery time-- Always seem to have a run right during a cold spell or storm.

Yes Certherfbeef......It can bring them in early if they are close.

One of the reasons we went to spring and summer calving. :)

Thanks folks, for all the comments!

Starting to wonder if I had lost my mind or something. :D Glad I'm not alone!!

Latest posts