Drop Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn_boroviak

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a set of scales to put in our alley way but I am not sure really how to catch them on the scales. I am assuming some sort of drop gate would work but we have a home made alleyway and I guess need some sort of plans for a drop gate and how to set it up. Any help is appreciated.

Depending on what space you have to use I would prefer slide gates like this

http://www.highdrummorecottages.co.uk/g ... kgate1.gif

Lift gates are what I call the other style, but they take more work and are slower. like this

http://strongholdmfg.com/images/liftgate.jpg

As for how to set it up, that's all you. I don't know your setup. Is it metal, or wooden. What sort of scale it feeds into.. etc

But basically you want them fed into the scale, like this http://strongholdmfg.com/images/alleysp ... panels.jpg with a gate on either end of it, just be cautious of where the cattle are standing and if they are backed up leaning on a gate if its not part of the weight platform. Try and keep it as low as possible within the chute, so they dont have a big step.

Alleyway makes it sound like a wider area though? Is it one animal wide, or 10 feet wide

Does anyone remember the post about how to build an alley gate that did not narrow the alley down? I am almost sure I saw it on CT but I cannot find it.

shawn_boroviak":2rupyv1h said:
I am thinking of buying a set of scales to put in our alley way but I am not sure really how to catch them on the scales. I am assuming some sort of drop gate would work but we have a home made alleyway and I guess need some sort of plans for a drop gate and how to set it up. Any help is appreciated.

I welded 4 pieces of angle iron on my alley - 2 on each side facing each other to make a track and made the gate to fit between. I only used 3/4" angle I think so it wouldn't affect the alley width too much.

The one thing nice about the drop gate compared to a sliding gate is that you can run the pull ropes away from the scale so the cattle can't see you and balk at continuing down the alley.

ChrisB":31v3z0lb said:
shawn_boroviak":31v3z0lb said:

I welded 4 pieces of angle iron on my alley - 2 on each side facing each other to make a track and made the gate to fit between. I only used 3/4" angle I think so it wouldn't affect the alley width too much.

The one thing nice about the drop gate compared to a sliding gate is that you can run the pull ropes away from the scale so the cattle can't see you and balk at continuing down the alley.

You can also rig two sets of ropes on a guilotine type gate for opening. Ropes going forward and a set going backwards. You can only release it with the rope you opened with tho.