Drone users??

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Does anyone on here use a drone for easy observation of their herd and pastures??

If so, which one works best? I'm not looking to spend a lot, just want to be able to hook into iPhone and look over about 20-30 acres.

I figure it'd be great for heat detection, general herd checks, keeping eye out for an early calf, etc.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Justin

I use one to check cows and troughs. The first one I had was about a $200 JJPRO EPIK. It was a decent one, but I have since upgraded to a DJI spark. They are around $500 depending on what combo you get. There is no comparison between the two. The DJI is better at everything from the time it takes the batteries to charge to the range it can fly. It's nice to stand in the yard and just fly a drone out to check water and cows.

4S-VA said:
I use one to check cows and troughs. The first one I had was about a $200 JJPRO EPIK. It was a decent one, but I have since upgraded to a DJI spark. They are around $500 depending on what combo you get. There is no comparison between the two. The DJI is better at everything from the time it takes the batteries to charge to the range it can fly. It's nice to stand in the yard and just fly a drone out to check water and cows.

That would be pretty cool.

I use a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, and I have to say, it has been an excellent piece of equipment. It's a bit on the pricey side, but you can do a lot with it and the added cost is worth every penny. I also use the DJI Smart Controller instead of using my smartphone. WAAAAAY better control of the drone.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-2-zoom-aircraft?set_country=US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US%20-%20SHOP%20-%20SSC&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl9-m8ofSuj30rLaG44a2Gqjrmnwq28PUS73yJMuYP5x6dTe1Wp7pDfEaAiFSEALw_wcB

https://www.dji.com/smart-controller

Hardly a day goes by that I don't send it up to check on things. I have a lot of calves coming soon and it's going to flying often, with the zoom lens I can check on the cow or heifer from a distance that will not spook her and see if she is doing fine or in trouble. That saves me a lot of trips in the Gator looking around aimlessly.

************* said:
I use a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, and I have to say, it has been an excellent piece of equipment. It's a bit on the pricey side, but you can do a lot with it and the added cost is worth every penny. I also use the DJI Smart Controller instead of using my smartphone. WAAAAAY better control of the drone.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-2-zoom-aircraft?set_country=US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US%20-%20SHOP%20-%20SSC&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl9-m8ofSuj30rLaG44a2Gqjrmnwq28PUS73yJMuYP5x6dTe1Wp7pDfEaAiFSEALw_wcB

https://www.dji.com/smart-controller

Hardly a day goes by that I don't send it up to check on things. I have a lot of calves coming soon and it's going to flying often, with the zoom lens I can check on the cow or heifer from a distance that will not spook her and see if she is doing fine or in trouble. That saves me a lot of trips in the Gator looking around aimlessly.

Branded that's cool. would you mind posting some video from your drone?

I use a Parrot bebop 2 w/skycontroller , ~$350-$400 and has a great range,20+ minute fly time, I can easily travel 2500' partially obstructed by trees. I find I can get about 25' above them before they start to move away from it. I use an android tablet and it works well, nice having a screen a bit bigger than a cellphones.
No doubt there's better drones out there but this one works for me.

Boss lady here has a DJI Mavic Pro (or some similar model) - 4 mile range, 20-30 minute fly time/battery. It's great. Use it to check cows multiple times a day during calving season. Monitor deer & turkeys, etc.
She's even used it to fly bottles of water out to me when I've been bush-hogging at the far end of the farm.
Wasn't cheap, but she researched for a couple of years before she bought, and has not regretted it.

wonder if a person could use a drone to chase off those black headed buzzards? we have a cell tower close and there are hundreds of them around and we start calving in about a month.

I would love to have one, not that I really have a need for one but it sounds enjoyable. But it would probably end up in the shop next to the metal detector and all the exercise equipment.

TexasBred said:
I would love to have one, not that I really have a need for one but it sounds enjoyable. But it would probably end up in the shop next to the metal detector and all the exercise equipment.

Neighbor about a mile down the road got a pretty expensive one for Christmas.
He called me several days after asking if I had seen or found one.
After I got through lmao I ask what happened. He said he had no clue last he seen it was above the pines heading east towards my place.
Never did find it.

Caustic Burno said:
After I got through lmao I ask what happened. He said he had no clue last he seen it was above the pines heading east towards my place.
Never did find it.

That's exactly what happened to me. :cry2:

We were floating the Yakima river yesterday, I heard this buzzing, high pitch sound. Turned around and a drone was hovering 15ft off the river. Next thing it dropped to about 2ft off the river. Down river a guy was talking to his gal about last seeing it, its about 200yrs up the river I told him.

Saw him at the take out and he said he never saw it again. :lol:

slick4591 said:
Caustic Burno said:
Never did find it.

Abducted by UFOs ?

Stocker Steve said:
slick4591 said:
Caustic Burno said:
Never did find it.

Abducted by UFOs ?

My drone was abducted. I just think I was hit with a Gama ray a little.

[/quote]
My drone was abducted. I just think I was hit with a Gama ray a little.
[/quote]

Lucky they did not take you too.
Some alien robot is probably having his way with your drone right now. :shock: