Driving fence posts today

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Bought some land a couple of months ago. West property line was built with single strand barbed wire and the posts were anywhere from 50' to 75' or so apart. Line is grown up with trees, I dozed my side down best I could without tearing things up. Put about 120 posts in this afternoon with my favourite post driver, Mrs. Silver got a good workout standing them all up for me, she's a trooper.
144B6859-0676-4644-8620-CFF918A6DB05.jpeg

Looks like a blast. 😁 To bad none of us was there to help. 😤 We will be doing this come fall on our next land. Haha that sounded funny.

Good onya Mrs Silver. Do you have a cup or something on the bucket so that it doesn't slip off? How deep do you get them in? What sort of posts are they and what sort of lifespan? Why not steel posts? Sorry about all the questions but I am starting on a bit of fence replacement in similar terrain, I plan on just 3 strands of barb wire, drill pipe for end assemblies and steel pickets about every 10 metres. I don't want too complex a fence as I often have to repair with trees going over, 3 strands will keep my cows in, not a lot of reason for them being up there.

Ken

Good onya Mrs Silver. Do you have a cup or something on the bucket so that it doesn't slip off? How deep do you get them in? What sort of posts are they and what sort of lifespan? Why not steel posts? Sorry about all the questions but I am starting on a bit of fence replacement in similar terrain, I plan on just 3 strands of barb wire, drill pipe for end assemblies and steel pickets about every 10 metres. I don't want too complex a fence as I often have to repair with trees going over, 3 strands will keep my cows in, not a lot of reason for them being up there.

Ken
Personally, if the fence is straight enough I really prefer high tensile.. I've gotten soooo sick of trying to re stretch old barbed wire and fighting every barb through each staple. One reason I like wood posts is I can make a wire hot easily if I need to

Looks good. If the neighbors don't mind, a pass with some strong spray will slick it off after the fence is completed. Next to a round baler, front end loader my sprayers are very important. Looking out that cage all day makes one feel like they are in the pokey for the day, not a good feeling.

Ken

No cup or anything on the bottom of the bucket, this bucket has wear bars welded across it with gaps in between and it grips pretty good if I position it properly. These posts are pressure treated pine as best I know, and if I don't burn them up they should last 30 years or so. They are 3"-4" x 6', about 2' in the ground. I don't have a real good reason for not using steel other than that I am suspicious of it and nobody seems to use steel in these parts so I can't observe or ask questions lol. Also, as Nesikep mentioned if one wants to put an electric fencer on it you can.

Looks good. If the neighbors don't mind, a pass with some strong spray will slick it off after the fence is completed. Next to a round baler, front end loader my sprayers are very important. Looking out that cage all day makes one feel like they are in the pokey for the day, not a good feeling.
I have been trying to spray down a few miles of fence each year with Grazon and I am sure impressed with the results. I will hit this fence in the next few days I hope.

No cup or anything on the bottom of the bucket, this bucket has wear bars welded across it with gaps in between and it grips pretty good if I position it properly. These posts are pressure treated pine as best I know, and if I don't burn them up they should last 30 years or so. They are 3"-4" x 6', about 2' in the ground. I don't have a real good reason for not using steel other than that I am suspicious of it and nobody seems to use steel in these parts so I can't observe or ask questions lol. Also, as Nesikep mentioned if one wants to put an electric fencer on it you can.
Same all around, we just use a FWA tractor to push them in most of the time. If the tractor is big enough it works good. Never seen steel here either except the odd T post. What's the cost of them per post?

Between $4-4.5 a piece here right now. I assume about the same everywhere down here south of the border.

Same all around, we just use a FWA tractor to push them in most of the time. If the tractor is big enough it works good. Never seen steel here either except the odd T post. What's the cost of them per post?

It is so rocky here that we slam a lot of T-posts in with the skid steer. We pound steel pipe in with a hydraulic 3pt pounder.

Might as well forget about pounding wood. If we use those, we dig the holes with a mini-ex, even it has trouble sometimes.

Latest posts