Driveway alarms?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone got a driveway alarm? Suggestions?
Been looking online at the one Mighty Mule has.

callmefence":lgrqnvas said:
Deer and such will drive you crazy with the motion sensor alarms. Use the ones with the magnetic sensor and bed the sensor in clean sand.
Mighty mule surprisingly makes a decent one.
Deer weren't a problem for me but spiders and birds was another story.

Farm Fence Solutions":3t229gyh said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mouth_Cur

We've been getting along well with this brand. They last 10-12 years before they need replacing.

We have a couple of those but when in the shop/man cave you can't hear them. They stay over by the house. Wanted something that would go off in the shop.

tom4018":1kr2ki3a said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1kr2ki3a said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mouth_Cur

We've been getting along well with this brand. They last 10-12 years before they need replacing.

We have a couple of those but when in the shop/man cave you can't hear them. They stay over by the house. Wanted something that would go off in the shop.

We have that problem too, but there's usually a blood trail if we really need to know who it was. :lol:

What is one for? Does it just let you know if a car is coming down the driveway?

My son gave me Guardline's for my birthday last year. Two remote sensors and two monitors for the house. One upstairs, one downstairs. They're Ok so far. I need to adjust the sensitivity on the outside sensors because they've been really good at notifying me of birds, the cats coming and going, leaves blowing, dust from a car/truck going by, anything that doesn't matter at 3am! Because of that, I've gotten pretty indifferent to the alarm going off. That defeats their purpose.
The Guardline has somewhere around 30 different alarm tones so you can program that many remote (outside) sensors to one inside monitor. They have two different outside sensors with different coverage specs. One covers 50 feet, the better one covers something like a 1/4 mile. It takes some time to get them positioned correctly. They have a small red light that lights up when they're triggered. That's probably not so good if someone is really paying attention. The alarm would be activated but I read where some had their sensors stolen because of the red light. The outside sensor looks like a little brown bird house on mine.

callmefence":3tukxi77 said:
Deer and such will drive you crazy with the motion sensor alarms. Use the ones with the magnetic sensor and bed the sensor in clean sand.

A man that we did some work for, has a set up like that. He has a circular/horse-shoe driveway and he has a sensor at both entrances and they are magnetic. It is the metal of a vehicle that sets it off, not by motion. I do not know what brand his system is. We have been thinking about doing something similar.

Workinonit Farm":1wdi5w89 said:
callmefence":1wdi5w89 said:

A man that we did some work for, has a set up like that. He has a circular/horse-shoe driveway and he has a sensor at both entrances and they are magnetic. It is the metal of a vehicle that sets it off, not by motion. I do not know what brand his system is. We have been thinking about doing something similar.

Nobody can really get in our place without us expecting them . But we have three generations on the place in three houses. Dad likes to sit and watch TV in his drawers. And he falls asleep and won't answer and push the button to open the gate. So we put him one in.
Works very well. If you're on a ATV you gotta ride the side with the sensor or it will sometimes miss you. But it'll get a car ever time. Used to swing around it ever now and then and slip.up on him as a joke. Quit doing that.... he'll shoot ya.. ;-)

I'd never given anything like this a thought, but it seems like they are common among everyone here. Do you guys have deliveries or business people coming in that you need to know about? About the only thing mine would indicate is my brother or a propane delivery. It might be good, however, to know when the propane guy is coming since he usually ends up In the ditch at some point

Leave the gate shut or some idiot will drive through it, and by 3 no trespassing signs and try and sell you something a mile back in the middle of your property. I need a driveway alarm so I can be standing on the pond dam with my shotgun.

True Grit Farms":exgk0ttt said:
Leave the gate shut or some idiot will drive through it, and by 3 no trespassing signs and try and sell you something a mile back in the middle of your property. I need a driveway alarm so I can be standing on the pond dam with my shotgun.

Are you saying people will drive to the field where you are working to sell you something? That would be annoying. I must live "back in the sticks" more than a lot of you all; I bet I haven't had a traveling salesman in 20 years. I live so far back it looks like your in a "wrong turn" movie coming to my farm. I think ghosts and zombies are even afraid to venture back here.

Had a gypsy barn painter just last week stop by. Every few weeks the other sale barn guy stops and drops off a buy sheet. If you ever buy any gates out of KY you are on the route from that point forward. Ups doesn't run here till after dark most days and let's not forget the ones that think I need to be in the cult.

Latest posts