Drive sprocket on vermeer baler

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Burned a bearing on the upper roller , on the drive side of course . Got it tore down to the sprocket , split bushing and outer sprocket came off fairly easy , now there are are no press bolts. Do I just use a puller? I don't see any other way , the manual is no help .

Kinda confusing understanding what your question is. On the picture you loosen up the outer collar (unscrew the threaded insert on the collar and take a punch and turn the collar a little and it will back off the bearing. What is left of the bearing that is on the shaft sometimes as it gets hot will almost weld on the shaft. Sometimes you can take penetrating oil and pliers and get off. What I usually do is take a (Dremel with a cutting wheel on the end of a shaft) and cut accross the rest of the bearing and it comes off the shaft easy then. (takes about 5 minutes and a couple cutoff wheels.) Check the roller shaft for wear (if wear need to get fixed or replace) and replace with a greaser-able bearing kit and you will have no more problems if you keep it greased. I wish I was there and in about ten minutes I would have that off for you.

John%20Deere%20%20JD10180%20Insert%20Bearing%20NTN_S-600x600.jpeg

HVu3SpU.jpg

I have one of these that works good cutting the bearing off the shaft, but you can't get it in tight places as good as the dremel.
3 in. Heavy Duty Electric Cut-Off Tool
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-heav ... 68523.html
8TtTxj8.jpg

Thanks jl, It's the triple sprocket bearing with the inner sprocket being the problem for now . I just didn't have the gas last night , get some coffee down and get after it in a few .

snoopdog":1541sjsr said:
Thanks jl, It's the triple sprocket bearing with the inner sprocket being the problem for now . I just didn't have the gas last night , get some coffee down and get after it in a few .

If a torch handy heat it red hot and it might back off easy. I usually try everything until I fix it and in a few cases on some of this equipment destroyed the part. Even destroying it I came out cheaper than getting charged $80/hr labor.

snoopdog":16p2ntco said:
Burned a bearing on the upper roller , on the drive side of course . Got it tore down to the sprocket , split bushing and outer sprocket came off fairly easy , now there are are no press bolts. Do I just use a puller? I don't see any other way , the manual is no help .

Have you removed the set screws in the sprocket hub there may be two. One over the key stock and another about ninety degree and it sets against the shaft.
You may have to use a puller.

hurleyjd":2jokjnqr said:
snoopdog":2jokjnqr said:

Have you removed the set screws in the sprocket hub there may be two. One over the key stock and another about ninety degree and it sets against the shaft.
You may have to use a puller.
No ,i have not , thank you . That is one reason I just had to quit last night , when you are exhausted it's better to simply getaway from it sometimes . You have just given me light , I'm usually pretty good with this stuff , but that just absolutely escaped me.

if all else fails you can cut them off with a torch, just use a really hot torch and hold it at a steep angle to the shaft.. bearing will cut and the shaft will stay too cold to get hurt

Update , all disassembly complete with the help of the hotwrench. We got almost an inch of rain , probably only 20 bales in the field to bale , so not too disappointed , we really needed the rain . Get it back together today or tomorrow , thanks everyone .

Latest posts