Dripping Milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
If a first calf heifer (don't know if it matters) loses her calf shortly after having it - say two weeks - how long does it normally take for her to dry up? I've got one of these and have penned her. Due to her confinement I'm able to see stuff I normally wouldn't notice. Her bags are not full but she does seem to still have drops of milk coming from her udders on occassion. Its been at least a month since she lost her calf.

Hi Jo sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I actually had to have a nap today.. 8)

It is quite normal for her to leak ,,if you are really worried ( and I would be too as it has been a while) you can get a product from your vet to help her dry up and not get mastitis ; as mastitis at this point is what I would be most concerned about since the teats are still open..

You need to strip her out and infuse each teat with a tube of product <<we used Cefi Dry by Upjohn>>>but I am not sure what you would have there. Talk to your vet and they will know right away what I am talking about, we used it every time we dried a dairy cow up..

Hope this helps..

We had a cow last year that took a month to dry up. We started to get worried too but it turns out that it was a blesing in disguise. Another cow had twins and we were having trouble with her, a story for another time. We put one of the calves on her and in about 2 days she was producing again. I guess what I am trying to say is, she might know something that you don't.

Thanks for the replies. I am not worried about her just mainly curious. I have her in the feed pen and she is gaining weight well. With her being in the pen, I get to watch them closer when I check on them. Have really never paid this much attention before other than listening to the bawling. What drew my curiousity up so was my asssumation to the calf's death was that she is not a good milker. So my plans are to cull her to the dinner table in a few weeks.

Jogeephus":3n8ae39v said:
Thanks for the replies. I am not worried about her just mainly curious. I have her in the feed pen and she is gaining weight well. With her being in the pen, I get to watch them closer when I check on them. Have really never paid this much attention before other than listening to the bawling. What drew my curiousity up so was my asssumation to the calf's death was that she is not a good milker. So my plans are to cull her to the dinner table in a few weeks.
Jo if you are feeding her that could also be a reason she is still milking

thats a heavy milking heifer you have there.at 2 wks fresh an a bagg full of milk.id get a calf an put on her.or id put her in the chute an milk her out.

bigbull338":au95inq9 said:
thats a heavy milking heifer you have there.at 2 wks fresh an a bagg full of milk.id get a calf an put on her.or id put her in the chute an milk her out.

Her bags aren't full. She doesn't even look swollen in the least but little drops of milk come out of her teets. Even when she had her calf her utter looked empty.