Drilling winter wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Anyone ever drilled winter wheat with a notill drill for winter forage. If so is winter wheat good for cattle ? Any problems with bloat, nutrition value etc..., I am in NorthWest Arkansas. I see alot of wheat planted by the row crop farmers here. So i guess i might could get it to grow in my pastures ?

I broadcast about 100lbs/ acre in September-October depending on moisture, just drag a harrow or drag of some kind over it and it grows good. I also graze/clip pasture fairly short before sowing. Hit it with 100# urea/ acre about Feb 10 and it will be ready to graze late Feb. I don't have any problems with bloat or anything, they will be able to crap through a screen door when they first get on it so don't stand too close behind. My tractor is not big enough for a no till drill or I'd probably try that route. You can almost see young cattle growing when they're in wheat or any good annual like that.

I never fool with drilling it. I broadcast 100 pounds to the acre. It always seems to come up.

Probably the most used winter annual forage the country but because of it quality it normally is planted for calves.

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/mp404/chapter12wheat.pdf

I have drilled it several times in the past after cutting fall hay. Then strip grazed after Christmas. In the spring it will grow and add to the hay crop.

Rye grass. If you let annual rye head out and mature in the spring, your "Annual" Rye will automatically become Perennial. Problem I had with pasturing over the winter is the time and money put into the crop just to see the cows stomp it to death, especially during rainy periods. Just decided to put the money in hay and supplements as required. Benefit is in the spring when the cutter comes out, you can stay in your tractor seat while you get a decent spring cutting. Double cropping with Coastal Bermuda gives you the best of both worlds......Rye comes off when the Bermuda starts to grow, or if running a SS summer crop, planting time is right there.

Texasmark, do they stomp in down pretty bad ? Even rotating them on it ?

Latest posts