Drill in alfalfa or start over new?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I've got a three year old stand of a grass mix hay field (planted originally for horses). I was planning on burning it off after my next cutting and have a friend disc it up and drill in a mix with alfalfa. However another cattle friend had the county extension recommended drilling alfalfa into the existing grass after cutting instead of starting over from scratch. Any thoughts on these two options? My grass stand is in great shape but I only get two cuttings. Adding alfalfa should get me another cutting and increase it's nutritional value.

I'd probably drill it into the grass. But it's a little early to be doing anything now

Sounds like drilling into the grass is the way I'm going. Would early August be too early? Weatherman says the hottest days of summer are over with cooler weather expected the second half.

NonTypicalCPA":2ykw1qjq said:
Sounds like drilling into the grass is the way I'm going. Would early August be too early? Weatherman says the hottest days of summer are over with cooler weather expected the second half.
Alfalfa needs quite a bit of moisture to get a good stand going. So if you're getting some good rains then August should be fine BUT if it's dry you will want to wait until you have some good rain

SE MN is consistently able to get a good catch with fall seeding.
West central MN is able to get a good catch with fall seeding perhaps one year in three.
Difference is the amount of fall rain.

I'll be watching the rain to get the best germination possible. I've had good success planting pastures and food plots in August with adequate rainfall.

Wish we could grow alfalfa here. It takes about 3 ton of lime per year for at least 3 to 5 years on good bottom land to even try it. Dang soil here is so acidic.

Latest posts