dried chicken manure or manuf fert

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
given yer chioce..which ya like better.

do i need to keep the cows offa the chicken poop?

dont know the price on the chicken yet but i know the pprice of the fert is beyond me so far...

they spread the manure..i spread the fert

Same as any other fertiliser, I think.

An inch of rain, or three weeks rest, after spreading before putting the cows in.
I like to keep the cows off fertilised ground for at least a week anyway, regardless of rainfall.

Bwfeow I made a decision I would want to know what the actual NPK is of the chicken vs chemical. Thw aruff they sell here is 5-5-5, takes a whole lot to make much of a dent in poor fertility

dun":1pefu7j8 said:
Bwfeow I made a decision I would want to know what the actual NPK is of the chicken vs chemical. Thw aruff they sell here is 5-5-5, takes a whole lot to make much of a dent in poor fertility
Where is that litter coming from ?
What I put on is testing alot higher than that I don't remeber the P&K off hand but the N was close to 60lbs per ton

lab also analyzed the trace minerals and said we were getting $5 worth of trace per ton that you can't get in commercial fert

Is it by the house? If so have you smelled that chicken manure? It could be cheaper but you'd lose more in the divorce. I saw a lot of people were using chicken litter. More than I remember.

dieselbeef":3gii1k3r said:
given yer chioce..which ya like better.

do i need to keep the cows offa the chicken poop?

Each one has its good points and bad. The cost is my main consideration. I put out 2 tons per acre and to me it gives the forage more body than conventional. Probably some minor elements I'm missing.

Probably best to leave the cows off of it but I know some people who have mixed litter in their feed for cattle so I can't see how it would hurt them.

Angus Cowman":2r0ab1qh said:
dun":2r0ab1qh said:
What I put on is testing alot higher than that I don't remeber the P&K off hand but the N was close to 60lbs per ton

lab also analyzed the trace minerals and said we were getting $5 worth of trace per ton that you can't get in commercial fert

I'm no good at figuring and probably did it wrong, but 60 a ton seems like less the 5 per 100

I can't find the analysis that should be in my historical stuff, but I think when we used it it went on at about 2.4 T/ha and that provided 80 kg N - a pretty high dose of nitrogen in one shot. So yes, the % tests are low, but the sheer quantities you stick on give a massive boost in growth.
I think there are potash issues, that it shouldn't be used too close to calving (milk fever risk). but we never had any problems using it about three - four months before calving as an annual dressing.
One thing it will do that chemical fertilisers won't is boost the organic matter (and trace elements) of your soil. That farm had an almost black, scummy surface, lots of worm activity. Probably better moisture retention due to the extra humus.

dun":3ge8p5gc said:
Angus Cowman":3ge8p5gc said:
dun":3ge8p5gc said:

I'm no good at figuring and probably did it wrong, but 60 a ton seems like less the 5 per 100
I am sorry didn't realize you were figuring by the 100wt have never done it that way I have always seen it figured by the ton and that was what threw me off
I did see some test results on some litter that was really poor last yr a guy tried to sell me some and it was down to less than 20lbs N per ton I told him no thanks
it was old extremely dry litter

both cow manure an litter work great as fert.with manure you need to put out 20 to 25 tons an ac a yr.with litter you need to put out 3 tons to the ac.an you dont have to pull them off of a pasture thats had litter or manure spread on it.

witing to hear back on the price of the litter. but if i can use 1/3 less im all over that. i put down a ton per 5 acre past last yr of comm fert.
if i could do a ton over all 15 acres id be doing great and not hafta lift a finger. its dried so it shouldnt smell much til it gets wet anyways.
im only doin the 15 ac attatched to the house

the other 25 i lease im only gonna mow

dieselbeef":18t6tnv1 said:
witing to hear back on the price of the litter. but if i can use 1/3 less im all over that. i put down a ton per 5 acre past last yr of comm fert.
if i could do a ton over all 15 acres id be doing great and not hafta lift a finger. its dried so it shouldnt smell much til it gets wet anyways.
im only doin the 15 ac attatched to the house

the other 25 i lease im only gonna mow
if you are doing 15 acres the least I would apply is 30 tons

wow! thats alot. ill go with 40 ton then..or whatever they bring in 2 semi loads. they spread too. any idea of a fair price?
chickens aint too common round here..too hot i guess..humid...if the price is ight..hes gonna call me back...then i dont hafta do anything..i like that part too.
what if it dont rain?
gotta keep em off it?

dried shouldnt stink too bad right...i dont care but the dogs will stink up the garage :lol:

dieselbeef":2qj7w2p3 said:
wow! thats alot. ill go with 40 ton then..or whatever they bring in 2 semi loads. they spread too. any idea of a fair price?
chickens aint too common round here..too hot i guess..humid...if the price is ight..hes gonna call me back...then i dont hafta do anything..i like that part too.
what if it dont rain?
gotta keep em off it?

dried shouldnt stink too bad right...i dont care but the dogs will stink up the garage :lol:

If it is coming straight out of a house it is going to be fresh. May not be wet but won't be dry either. Either way it will have an oder.

dieselbeef":nbft7wgp said:
what if it dont rain?
gotta keep em off it?

it will have an odor and the price I pd last yr was $34pr ton del and spread, the yr before that was $26 the increase mainly was fuel price and also because comm fert was so high that the demand for the litter went thru the roof

Chicken litter can be a good source of nutrients. You need to have an analysis on the litter and then sit down and do a comparison to commercial fertilizer to determine which is the best option.

If you are not going to put 2 tons per acre of litter out you might as well not use any. I know that is a lot but not all of the nutrients are available the first year and you also lose some to volatilization. You actually get a little nitrogen the second year but it is not much. Main problem with litter is that continued use can build up an excess of phosphorus. It can add a little organic matter to sandy soils and it does not make your soils more acidic like commercial fertilizers tend to do.

Chicken litter at two tons to the acre will grow grass on a rock if you get a little rain. The best hay and pasture I have wver grown was with chicken litter. It does not lower the PH either. And cows can eat chicken litter in fact some use it as feed so It won't hurt to put on pastures with cows.
If anyone is willing to haul and spred on my place please PM me. I am 40 miles east of Montgomery.

There's 150 tons in front of my house right now, more on the way. My neighbors love me.

the 16-4-8 is 350/ton i spread it. i need 3 ton
the litter is 50 /ton and they spread it. i need 20 ton
its right at 1000 either way.
so the btm line is if it doesnt rain the litter is better right. the commercial stuff will degrade layin out if it dont get rained in.

so if yall think it is equal in getting the job done then ill go with the litter..i think a natural fert is better anyways ..you??

Latest posts