Drenching

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Last winter I had a heifer calve unexpectedly and didn't claim the calf. The calf couldn't suck a bottle so I drenched it with some frozen colostrum but apparently got the tube in her lungs instead of stomach. Could anybody help me out with the proper steps to take when drenching a calf to make sure that I get the tube in it's stomach?

[email protected]

There is a difference between drenching and using an esophogeal feeding tube. Always use an esoph. feeder on calves. That said, I don't know how to explain how to do it right. Big help huh?

dun

> Last winter I had a heifer calve
> unexpectedly and didn't claim the
> calf. The calf couldn't suck a
> bottle so I drenched it with some
> frozen colostrum but apparently
> got the tube in her lungs instead
> of stomach. Could anybody help me
> out with the proper steps to take
> when drenching a calf to make sure
> that I get the tube in it's
> stomach?

Ok, here's how I do it. Take the esophageal feeder--it has a bulb on the end of the hard plastic tube-- and gently place it in the calf's mouth from the front of the mouth. Slowly slide it down over the hump of the tongue while stretching the calf's head to straighten the neck. (I'm usually straddling them) The tube will pass into the esophagus if you're in a foot or more--to be certain it's in the correct location, feel for the bulb on the lower left midline of the neck--once you've felt it, you'll never miss it. Then unclamp your tube and allow the contents to drain in via gravity. Once finished, clamp your tube again (I kink it twice) and slowly withdraw the tube (so they don't aspirate on the remaining fluid in the tube). It's very easy to do but less easy to explain. Sorry if this isn't clear. Good Luck V

I'm still learning this one, but I put the tube in alone. When I think I have it right, I feel for air coming through the tube. If there is air, I'm in the lungs and I try again. If not, I go ahead and attach my bottle thing to the tube and go for it.

[email protected]

How long do you feel good about keeping frozen colostrum? What about the shelf life on the store-bought type?

Properly frozen should last a year, the store bought stuff has an expiration date on it

dun

> How long do you feel good about
> keeping frozen colostrum? What
> about the shelf life on the
> store-bought type?

Latest posts