dream house

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Someone on here is building a house...I have another cautionary tale about what not to build..

This man,a retired bricklayer,built his dream house..Beautiful.. From the front door you went down three steps to the living room,up four to the bedroom,up three to the kitchen from the LR,down two from the BR to the kitchen. Then he had a stroke..Impaired his left side. Had to have help in and out of the bedroom,couldn't use a wheelchair in that house,so his wife(small woman) had to almost carry him up and down all those stairs..
Please make any house handicapped friendly,it's a logical floorplan and you never know what's gonna happen..

people dont ever think about the years taking a toll on their bodies.so they dont build handicap accessable houses.

Very wise advice Peg. It's actually pretty simple to build a handicap equipped house. Just remember to make the hallway 4 foot and use 36 inch interior doors. No humps, no bumps, grab bars, and the like.

I'm not handicapped, but I'll tell you already that I use some of the grab bars to get up and down with. Better to be safe than sorry!

Well Peg it is myself and another person building.
The only stairs planned are going down into the basement and we plan on them being wide enough to put in a chair lift if need be later on.
Other then those we are not going to have stairs inside the house.
Once we get the blue print done we will know more of what is going on with it stair wise.
The only hall way is around 5 feet wide. It is pretty much an open floor plan.

Can you post photos of your progress? There is a floorplan on http://www.lumberjackhomes.com called Maris that I just love..Yes it's 2 stories and a log cabin,but I'd only want the ground floor. Couple of tweaks and it'd be perfect for me! (When I win the lottery)

I want a slide down into the basement. Here in tornado alley I think it would be a wise investment. Besides, when I go through my second childhood..........

Don't tell my kids that or they will want a slide too backhoe. :lol2:

Well Peg we are still trying to get that trailer house cleaned out. Holy Cow!
I have filled 5, 50 gal rubber storage tubs.
Made 2 trips to the dump, 2 trips to that place we are storing things and 1 truck load to Goodwill.
Just about half way done.
I'm going nuts.

Hope to get this trailer sold, soon.

There's a new show on called "Horders". It's a form of OCD. Anyhow,one woman had lost her children because of the stuff in her house. She would hesitate between throwing out a disposible drink cup and keeping it and not get the kids back.
Good luck on cleaning out the trailer and on getting it sold..

Peg I'm not sure if you would call them hoarders or not. Some of the stuff I've thrown out had me wondering, but some of the stuff I have found are WOW!
I found a quilt that my MIL was making for my hubby, but she never got the backing done on it. The cross stitched and embrodiered pillow cases, dish towels and table runners are great. The croqueted dollies (sp?) and table clothes are georgous.
Still got a lot of work left to do. Hope to have the living room area empty today.

I luv herfrds":2df05una said:
Peg I'm not sure if you would call them hoarders or not. Some of the stuff I've thrown out had me wondering, but some of the stuff I have found are WOW!
I found a quilt that my MIL was making for my hubby, but she never got the backing done on it. The cross stitched and embrodiered pillow cases, dish towels and table runners are great. The croqueted dollies (sp?) and table clothes are georgous.
Still got a lot of work left to do. Hope to have the living room area empty today.
Please save all the needlework..You can frame it and it's beautiful. The quilt can be finished for your husband
Yeah,I'd hate for someone to see some of the stuff I've got. (Brayer horses for one thing)
One room at the time and you'll get it.

tncattle467":vpvxolpy said:
peg4x4":vpvxolpy said:
Someone on here is building a house...I have another cautionary tale about what not to build..

This man,a retired bricklayer,built his dream house..Beautiful.. From the front door you went down three steps to the living room,up four to the bedroom,up three to the kitchen from the LR,down two from the BR to the kitchen. Then he had a stroke..Impaired his left side. Had to have help in and out of the bedroom,couldn't use a wheelchair in that house,so his wife(small woman) had to almost carry him up and down all those stairs..
Please make any house handicapped friendly,it's a logical floorplan and you never know what's gonna happen..

He could not have added a wheel chair ramp or even railings to get aholt of? I also saw recently on tv where they have this lift deal you can sit on and it will carry up the steps.
Yeah,they do have those "stairclimbers" but they are expensive. This was over 40 years ago,so electric carts or stairclimbers weren't an option. Don't know why no railings.

I know some people would love to get their hands on all of the embroidered hankies I found.
Yes we are hanging onto it all. Asked a friend I have who sews if she knows anyone who quilts. I would really hate to ruin it. My hubby didn't even know about it. Found matching pillow cases she didn't quite get to.
Found 6 differnt quilts total.

I love my Breyer horses too. :D Told the hubby he has to make shelves so I can display them.

Got the living room emptied, curtains washed, carpets vaccumed (burned up the belt on my vaccum). Washed windows and pretty much got everything going into our basement in the kitchen. Pile is getting smaller and smaller.
Suppose to snow here for the next couple of days so we are not going to try to get anything moved around.
I did get burned out on the last bedroom and just walked away for now.

bigbull338":3kyopu1c said:
people dont ever think about the years taking a toll on their bodies.so they dont build handicap accessable houses.

That don't apply to everyone.

peg4x4":2u57rq0b said:
There's a new show on called "Horders". It's a form of OCD.
Met a man in a bookstore with books in a shopping cart. He told me it was a compulsion to buy books and old cars. But he only buys books on sale. Said he was on a 12 step program.

I thought he was joking until I happened to meet one of his former employees. She said he has an entire floor above his office filled with used books he never reads.

Seems resonable to me.
If he is like me he intends to read them when he gets around to it.

Latest posts