Draxxin?

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
how old does a calf have to be to give it draxxin? because the other day i had a day old calf with pnemoniah, but i was scared i would kill the calf if i gave it a shot. the calf died anyway so i want to know if i ever have a day old calf with the same problem?

What does the label say?
Don't recall any minimum age but have not had that situation arise
Bottom line - follow the label if it does not give a minimum age it should be OK

The vet gave us Draxxin for a 10 day old calf with pneumonia -- snapped it right out of it; however, he said if it was quick pneumonia we only had a 50/50 shot with the calf anyway.

Our vet had us give 1cc to newborns to protect them - he said - for 10 days. This was a time when we were having trouble due to weird weather changes...no longer do this. I read NEVER give antibiotics and vaccines at the same time..renders vaccine about useless, at least the MLV ones.
Valerie

Day old calf does not have an infection type pneumonia anyhow (it takes time for it to grow) So Draxin would be useless.
I would have tried Dex just in case it would have helped.
It probably got fluid in its lungs- don't think anything would help with that.

Howdyjabo":1iwalklj said:
Day old calf does not have an infection type pneumonia anyhow (it takes time for it to grow) So Draxin would be useless.
I would have tried Dex just in case it would have helped.
It probably got fluid in its lungs- don't think anything would help with that.
That was the point of giving the Draxin to the day old. To prevent the spred of infection to the rest of the newborns...... Doc said the Draxin was good in thier system for 10 days.
Valerie

Yes but he said his calf had pneumonia at a day old-- can't happen- something else was going on.

Latest posts