Draxxin Shelf Life

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I've been using Nuflor but am going to switch to Draxxin but the bottle says you have to use it all within 28 days of first use and only puncture bottle 17 times. I know you use less Draxxin, but does it just quit working on day 29?

If you've got a bottle on hand and it's past the recommended time, I'd still use it. It must be more sensitive to environmental changes. I probably wouldn't let it ride around on the dash of the pickup.

What are you treating? How did you decide to switch to Draxxin? I used to use a lot of Nuflor and Baytril. I have never been overly impressed with the results I got from Draxxin, Zactran, or Zuprevo.

Did a lot of research online and with vets. Draxxin in general seems to be the gold standard. Costs are down now due to avail generics. One shot lasts 14 days with Draxxin, Nuflor requires a second dose = twice through the chute. Draxxin has 18 days withdrawal vs 30+ with Nuflor. Viscosity of Nuflor.

I agree, if I had a bottle that was past shelf life, I would use it too. Just wondering if it would work!! :) How did someone determine it shouldn't be used? Should you add 10%? 20%? if it's past shelf life?

The way I understand it is after the expiration date it starts losing some of its efficacy. It will work fine, just not at 100% anymore. I wouldn't add any to the dosage.

I've been using Nuflor but am going to switch to Draxxin but the bottle says you have to use it all within 28 days of first use and only puncture bottle 17 times. I know you use less Draxxin, but does it just quit working on day 29?
Many drugs say something to this effect on the label; very few people read enough of the fine print to notice.

Draxxin doesn't magically quit working on a certain date, and its shelf life is as good as or better than the other respiratory drugs. Zoetis stands behind their product and will try to make it right if you have problems, but they don't want to be held responsible for people misusing them. They're essentially guaranteeing the performance of Draxxin under specific conditions - but if you keep a bottle rolling around the back of your truck for a year with a dirty needle stuck in it, they are going to point to that statement on the label and say any problems are your problem.

The way I understand it is after the expiration date it starts losing some of its efficacy.
The expiration date is a guarantee of full effectiveness up to that date. It doesn't necessarily mean that the drug starts to lose potency beyond it. Companies don't usually study a drug to see how far out it can possibly last; they just make sure that it's good for a year or two and then put that date on the label. Many drugs will last virtually forever if stored and sealed properly.

One shot lasts 14 days with Draxxin, Nuflor requires a second dose = twice through the chute. Draxxin has 18 days withdrawal vs 30+ with Nuflor. Viscosity of Nuflor.
A lot of people (Not saying you, just a general statement) think of long lasting antibiotics as a magic bullet.
Even after Exceed came on the market we still used Naxel. It only lasts 24hours. So it requires you to get the calves back in and temp & retreat. An antibiotic is only one part of the recovery process. It does not replace good good management.

The expiration date is a guarantee of full effectiveness up to that date. It doesn't necessarily mean that the drug starts to lose potency beyond it. Companies don't usually study a drug to see how far out it can possibly last; they just make sure that it's good for a year or two and then put that date on the label. Many drugs will last virtually forever if stored and sealed properly.
To be clear, the shelf life is a year. Once opened (not referring to "stored and sealed"), it's 28 days. So they aren't making sure it's good for a year or two and putting that date on the label. They are putting 28 days. Big difference between shelf life and use by dates.

A lot of people (Not saying you, just a general statement) think of long lasting antibiotics as a magic bullet.
Even after Exceed came on the market we still used Naxel. It only lasts 24hours. So it requires you to get the calves back in and temp & retreat. An antibiotic is only one part of the recovery process. It does not replace good good management.
Indeed. It's only one part. But, when I have to use an antibiotic, I will use the one that requires the least amount of stress on the cattle and doesn't require ill cattle to be run through the chute daily. I consider minimizing the times cattle have to be run through the chute as part of good management. Sometimes technological advancement is also part of good management.

If a medicine like that is a little past the date, but has been stored properly, I have no problem using it. Vaccines are different and I use them according to the recommendation.
As for Draxxin compared to others like Nuflor, a vet explained to me that they are both good drugs but work different. Nuflor acts faster but it's affects don't last as long as Draxxin, which takes longer to act.

I think the 28 days and number of times you breach the bottle is all about the risk of contaminating the contents. There would be a big variability in the way that the rubber stopper is used and abused. Even with the most diligent hygene practices some bugs would be forced inside, good hygene practices and minimal breaching of the stopper minimises the risk and would extend the storage. If using multiple doses at the one time leave a sterile needle in to make the repeated withdrawals rather than repuncturing the stopper and forcing contaminats inside.
You may ask doesn't the mighty Draxin kill the bugs? I am not sure on the mode of action but many drugs require an active immune system to be effective and also there are bugs outside of their scope such as fungi and yeasts.

Ken

Just an FYI: Zoetis is still offering the rebate. Unfortunately, I've had to treat some of my weaned calves for pneumonia. Spent quality time w/my vet today and he's had good luck with Draxxin KP, which contains Ketoprofen (similar to Resflor) and essentially the same result as Draxxin + Banamine Transdermal, but without the added step (and potential of getting the transdermal on you). Temps dropped down in the 30's last night and while I've always had great results with Resflor Gold, it's a bytch in the cold.

Anyway, Draxxin KP was $1350 at the vet for a 250ml bottle but a $200 rebate. Additionally, check with your vets &/or extension agent because Zoetis is really pushing the Draxxin products, now that there's a generic (Macrosyn Tulathromycin). Our vet clinic is hosting an educational event/dinner that includes vets from K-State and Zoetis and a drawing for Draxxin KP.

Draxxin KP was $1350 at the vet for a 250ml bottle
:eek:

I'm an old school cheap azz. I don't use Resflor. I still use Nuflor and I.V. my Bannamine on calves. I save the Transdermal for the bulls.
I have a kerosene heater next to the chute in the winter. Got to be careful not to get the Nuflor to warm. The calves really don't like hot Nuflor injections.

:eek:

I'm an old school cheap azz. I don't use Resflor. I still use Nuflor and I.V. my Bannamine on calves. I save the Transdermal for the bulls.
I have a kerosene heater next to the chute in the winter. Got to be careful not to get the Nuflor to warm. The calves really don't like hot Nuflor injections.
I keep the bottle of Resflor Gold in an inside pocket of my coat to keep it warm, but it's still ungodly thick.

I keep the bottle of Resflor Gold in an inside pocket of my coat to keep it warm, but it's still ungodly thick.
Resflor actually had a freebie promo bottle holder made out of gel that you heat in the microwave then place the bottle in. It was supposed to keep the liquid thinner than kyro syrup. Got one hanging in my office, never tried it to see if it works.

Latest posts