Draxxin or Nyflor?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I have a heifer that just got here (Texas) from Iowa last night, and this morning she has a cough and a runny nose. Eating, and otherwise looks okay, but I'm sure it's shipping fever.

What is your drug of choice for this? I have Draxxin, Nyflor, Baytril and Micotil available.

Thanks for your help.

I prefer Baytril for anything repiratory, and Nuflor for foot rot. Micotil can be fatal to humans. I view Draxxin as the "Big Gun" and only use for the most serious cases in order to lessen chances for tolerence/immunity.

How old is the heifer? If she's a calf I would use Draxxin if she a yearling or older I would use Nuflor.

I would go with nuflor. They get excede (similar to draxxin) when they come off the trailer from the sale. Then if any sicks they get nuflor or resflor. Not to hijack but you can give the nuflor in either 3cc to 100lbs twice or 6cc to 100lbs once. I wonder if one if better for cure than the other?

Draxxin all the way.too many re-treats with nuflor and its more $$.last week i had 2 400lb calves with runny nose,coughing and just droopy.well i was out of draxxin and the vet was too so i gave them some resflor that i had,6 per 100.didn t see much improvement after 2 days so i gave them draxxin and thats all it took.

I've used draxxin on small calves with great results but last fall I was weaning some 600 lb heifers and the best one got sick with pnuemonia symptons.The first shot of draxxin didn't help at all and four days later I tried nuflor with a shot of bandamene the next day along with b12 and that seemed to help her.Three days later I gave her a shot of resflor plus the b12 and she made it through it.

piedmontese":3qt15qii said:
Draxxin all the way.too many re-treats with nuflor and its more $$.last week i had 2 400lb calves with runny nose,coughing and just droopy.well i was out of draxxin and the vet was too so i gave them some resflor that i had,6 per 100.didn t see much improvement after 2 days so i gave them draxxin and thats all it took.

Same thing here. Had 86 holsteins and 8 required re-treat. I'll go with Draxxin next time.

Latest posts