Draxxin for scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
i have bottle of Draxxin, and i was wandering if you can use it to help with scours? how good is it compared to Baytril? Also can you use it to treat navel ill?

Its an antiboidic, so it should do something vs spending money to buy something esle. I tried some Exceed. Between that some pills and a drench it did wonders! Just cant shove too far and go through the ear as I learned a few times. There is also some drug with banameene in it as well.

Draxxin is a macrolide drug which means it concentrates in the lung tissues. It is also excellent for FR and pinkeye.
Excede, Naxel, Excenel are all excellent on e.coli and we have had great success treating scours using Excede. Is the calf is depressed or in pain, Banamine will also help but reducing the gut pain and inflammation.
Baytril is a seriously potent drug and I would never use it as a first treatment.
I use Nuflor/Resflor for navel ill but Excede would work as well.

Here, the recommended scour treatment is sour boluses such as Calf Span (three day treatment) and a sulfa injectable like trimidox or trivetrin along with flunazine as an anti inflamatory, as well as a drench of electrolytes
Most scours are viruses so any treatment of drugs only prevent secondary infection not treat scours. The drench of electrolytes is what really does the trick.

That said, we have noticed a great great reduction in scours and scour treatments with doing ML scour vaccines in the last trimester (booster shot). Now treatments are only done if...
...the calf gets the staggers, or goes down
...the calf stops sucking
This year, we got hit with a massive snow storm. Normally that would bring about massive scour treatments. However, after several years of vaccinations and taking the wait and see approach, we waited it out. Calves got the squirts, still sucked the cow (not as much, but still 2 quarters), and still a bit fiesty. We give the calves 24 hours to show improvement, bed them down in different areas to reduce the virus loads, and let then $ in vaccinations do the work.
Our vet is a firm believer in scours being a 90%+ management issue. Management includes but not limited to clean bedding, good passive transfer of colostrum, lots of space, little crowding, and a good biosecurity program. Meaning, no one goes into the cow/calf or calving area if they have been on another farm without clean coveralls, clean disinfected boots. No other farm vehicles are allowed passed the home yard except the vet, and even she makes sure that truck of hers is clean and she uses clean boots and coveralls.

We hada couple of cases of scours a while back, the treatment we used was 6cc of Resflor. The theory is that it does something in the guts that prevents the cause of the scours from being able to multiply. I can;t explain it real well, hopfully Lucky will straighten out how it works. All I know for sure is that it works, surprised me I'll tell ya. It's a lot easier then trying to give boluses and only takes a half minute to give the shot.

Latest posts